Do you consider Whittaker a great striker?

The Legendary Scarface

Record since UFC 266 : 51-34
@Black
Reaction score
I'm just curious what the consensus is here on Bobby's skill set on the feet.

I don't think he's that good of a striker tbh. He can be successful with his blitzes and he's pretty effective with those side kicks but his boxing is bad IMO. His defense is poor and he doesn't counter or throw combinations with his punches very well.

All I all I think Bobby is an above average striker and it's primarily because of his kicks. Mediocre boxer.

His durability has helped him tremendously vs Romero to hold on to the belt for as long as he did even though I believe he lost the second fight. I also think Till beat him. His best performances were the TKOs against Brunson and Jacare.

KG is miles ahead of him in terms of timing, accuracy and striking savvy, particularly in boxing.

No hate, just my opinion.
Do you agree?

Last edited:
He's a great striker, one of the best in the ufc. He has one of if not the best jab in the ufc and his karate-boxing style is very effective and fun to watch. But sometimes he doesn't use all his weapons and fight like an idiot.

The Adesanya fight, for example, he has all the tools to give Izzy a lot of trouble. But instead, he decided to spam lunging overhand.

He usually looks good until he gets cracked one time.

I think when he first came to the UFC and fought at WW he was always looking for the KO and it didn't work. Then he adopted a loose style that works wonders for him. He's got great reflexes and instincts. That showed in the Brunson fight.

In MMA, it's hard to say what a great striker is. There's no point being a KJ Noons, Wonderboy or Edson Barboza where you have amazing tools but have to leave them in the toolbox. And I think that's where Bobby shines, he puts his gifts to good use.

I don't think he's that good of a striker tbh. He can be successful with his blitzes and he's pretty effective with those side kicks but his boxing is bad IMO. His defense is poor and he doesn't counter or throw combinations with his punches very well.

All I all I think Bobby is an above average striker and it's primarily because of his kicks. Mediocre boxer.
I mean I know this is just your opinion but it's completely shit and simply false. Have you ever watched any Whittaker fight?

I don't know how you can watch this fight and think Whittaker boxing is anywhere bad.

He's a great striker, one of the best in the ufc. He has one of if not the best jab in the ufc and his karate-boxing style is very effective and fun to watch. But sometimes he doesn't use all his weapons and fight like an idiot.

The Adesanya fight, for example, he has all the tools to give Izzy a lot of trouble. But instead, he decided to spam lunging overhand.
Yeah, it seems like he doesn't really game plan at all and just fights by feeling.

Yes he’s good MMA striker, saying otherwise is stupid ..

yeah he got caught by Israel but ... he spent the majority of his career on the feet and was world champion .. so to say he isn’t a “good striker” is ridiculous

Last edited:
His striking is good, I honestly thought that would be a pretty unanimous opinion on here; sort of surprised to see the thread title.

Obviously his footwork helps to bolster the effectiveness of his attacks, but they are very accurate in their own right. His KO’s of Tavares, Jacare & Brunson are all nice finishes with great shot placement. Robert very rarely wades in or blatantly misses with his attacks against fighters not named Izzy.

Then you should, because it's just idiotic to claim that Whittaker has bad boxing.

Go watch his fight against cannonier, it's free on the ufc YouTube channel.
You clearly missed my point.
If you disagree with me, as opposed to telling me to go and watch him, why don't you elaborate on why you believe he is s good boxer in detail?

I also think Till beat him.
full-retard.gif

You clearly missed my point.
If you disagree with me, as opposed to telling me to go and watch him, why don't you elaborate on why you believe he is s good boxer in detail?
I mean you can easily pick up his qualities on the feet by just watching the cannonier fight.

He has an amazing Jab, great 1-2, great left hook, great side or oblique kicks, great speed and power, great footwork and defense in general, excellent in the pocket, can cover the distance fast because of his explosiveness and karate-boxing style, great cardio, and has a great front kick

I agree with almost everything you said, but you're likely to find a lot of resistance here because there are a bunch of sherdoggers that think incredibly highly of their dear "Bobby Knuckles." To them, he's an almost mythical figure.

Back