Tony Ferguson explains what went wrong in the lead-up to the Charles Oliveira fight.

That's on him. Fighting the guy with the best BJJ in the division and saying "Fuck Jui-Jitsu" during a whole training camp is miles away from optimal. But honestly no TDD is what killed him in this fight. Oliveria threw him around like he had never trained wrestling. He was always going to be at a disadvantage on the ground with Oliveira but he really needed to force a standup fight in that matchup.

That's on him. Fighting the guy with the best BJJ in the division and saying "Fuck Jui-Jitsu" during a whole training camp is miles away from optimal. But honestly no TDD is what killed him in this fight. Oliveria threw him around like he had never trained wrestling. He was always going to be at a disadvantage on the ground with Oliveira but he really needed to force a standup fight in that matchup.
Ferguson's TDD has always been bad especially for someone with a wrestling background. He must have been good at reversals cause his TDD sucks.

Ferguson's TDD has always been bad especially for someone with a wrestling background. He must have been good at reversals cause his TDD sucks.
Yeah I knew he always struggled with TDD but I don't remember him just getting picked up at will and tossed by someone who is much more known for BJJ than wrestling. Considering who he was fighting that should have been (like defensive BJJ) a priority. It looked worse than ever IMO.

Yeah I knew he always struggled with TDD but I don't remember him just getting picked up at will and tossed by someone who is much more known for BJJ than wrestling. Considering who he was fighting that should have been (like defensive BJJ) a priority. It looked worse than ever IMO.
Oliveira's wrestling is greatly underrated IMO due to how great his submission game is and how most BJJ fighters tend to have weak takedowns. If you look at his stats though his success rate on takedowns is well above average as is his TDD.

So can we add ‘Enough Jiu jitsu Training Tony’ to the list like ‘Motivated BJ Penn’ and ‘Sea Level Cain’ ?

So can we add ‘Enough Jiu jitsu Training Tony’ to the list like ‘Motivated BJ Penn’ and ‘Sea Level Cain’ ?

Doesn't have a nice ring to it. We could add it to the list if we thought up a better version of it. Something simpler like "Prepared Tony".

BJJ wasn't why he got beat, it was his nonexistent TDD. As a 10p guy Tony would have gotten guard and oliveira would have smashed that. Remember Saunders vs Moraes? Same thing.

10p style is very guard oriented and in MMA there are better ways to pass that, only in competitive bjj you see guys submitting people with arm in triangles, carny armbars and stuff from rubber guard because most people don't know how to fight it; in MMA there's a lot more going on like the danger of punching and receiving damage.

To me he’s saying all the right things. He made mistakes, he acknowledged them, changed his ways and is training differently....what more do people want from him?

A lot of people just like to hate on Tony. No matter what he does he’s just that “dumb crazy guy.”

No need for excuses. Tony fought out his prime during his 12-0 run...many on here knew Charles was on his way up and Tony on his way down.

Tony is one of those guys who’s definitely going to struggle stepping away. He’s starting to sound delusional

Tony is one of those guys who’s definitely going to struggle stepping away. He’s starting to sound delusional
More delusional than trying to kill your wife because you think she’s a demon and chasing your toddler around dousing it in holy water because you think he’s Jesus reincarnated?

had Oliveira submitted him in the first round, I would have (maybe) believed it.
But even if he spent all his camp training BJJ, he would have lost that fight.
Because it would not make him better than Oliveira on the ground.

and Oliveira beat him everywhere.

excuses. he was coming off of a loss, and a bad loss at that. no top competitor in the world badly losses a fight and then half ass trains to fight another top contender for his next fight. he is badly trying to maintain his "stock". it wont work. the UFC will give him a can to fuck up to get him winning again, and then back to the wolves. he better fix whatever is ailing him.

Back