How Good Was Conor McGregor?

Ether13

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Back when he was considered a legitimate fighter and contending for belts, how good was he?

He is in the same elite fraternity with Nicco Montano of the greats who were just too good to defend their titles.

Back when he was considered a legitimate fighter and contending for belts, how good was he?

He is in the same elite fraternity with Nicco Montano of the greats who were just too good to defend their titles.

He could strike real good.

I’m starting to think he has less talent than Nick Diaz,

And much, much better matchups.

He’s around the same talent level as Nate Diaz but Nate fights tougher opponents so his record is shit.
Nick and Nate are very talented. What you on about?

He has some of the best striking we've ever seen but doesn't have the cardio for prolonged wars. He didn't face enough fighters for his flaws to be exposed that much.

Of course he is/was a top level fighter! I think he should’ve stayed in FW, he could dominate that division. LWs can take his shots whereas FWs would crumble

Pre 2017 McGregor was well on his way to becoming a future GOAT contender, one of the greatest strikers in UFC history, a phenomenal knockout artist.

Post 2017 McGregor is not the same person, his hunger killed by luxury, his arrogance leading to his opponents catching up to him skill wise.

which one we talking?

He has some of the best striking we've ever seen but doesn't have the cardio for prolonged wars. He didn't face enough fighters for his flaws to be exposed that much.
To be fair, i don't think his last fight was a cardio thing. His leg got absolutely mangled. Then he got KO'd.

Only great @ FW mostly due a hooge size advantage and he himself proclaimed himself beating on midgets

Good but not great LW. Favorable style matchup against Eddie. KOd Buchinger who was a decent LW. His fights with Nate even tho @ 170 they were LWs not cutting, Dustin rematch and Khabib showed hes not near the same devastating force when he cant dwarf midgets by his own words

He got wobbled by Nate, Khabib and Floyd, known pillow fisters. His cardio was also not championship level and his punching power's probably in a similar range as that of most LWs. But when he was on - his ability to just bulldoze people with that precision and movement was incredible. So, a bit of a glass cannon, but extremely dangerous if on point. And I think anyone underestimating him would've paid a price.

A price I fear Doostin will pay in the trilogy as I feel like the only reason Conor lost was due to his hubris - taking his sweet time in there feeling unthreatened. Every time he touched Doostin, the dude was holding for dear life, so he should've been all business from the get go.

That said, I'm rooting for Poirier again, but I think he should've went for the belt. Now it might be out of reach for a long time.

lol @ Same level as Nate. He was far more than a left hand, his striking and fight IQ was on a completely another level. That Alvarez performance was the most flawless masterclass of all time.

Unfortunately he became too big for MMA, shame that Floyd fight happened from a fan perspective. Seeing prime Conor being active and fight Tony and Khabib would have been great and I would have fancied him to beat both of them.

lol @ Same level as Nate. He was far more than a left hand, his striking and fight IQ was on a completely another level. That Alvarez performance was the most flawless masterclass of all time.

Unfortunately he became too big for MMA, shame that Floyd fight happened from a fan perspective. Seeing prime Conor being active and fight Tony and Khabib would have been great and I would have fancied him to beat both of them.

He has many holes in his game.

His wrestling is average.

His cardio is bad.

His submission game is not there.

He has as many weaknesses as Nate does.

More than Nick does.

Nick Diaz at 155 would kick Conor’s ass.

Not very. A loudmouth who was good at Featherweight due to IVs and was given an undeserved title shot against a favourable matchup.

First-7-minutes Conor is one of the best strikers MMA has ever seen.

He was all right, never defended a title and always got dana's favors losing to diaz says it all tbh.

He was really fucking good. Elite fighter in his prime and in the top 10 in the world p4p. His run at fw was incredible. His win over alvarez and the fashion in which he did it puts him in the top 50 of all time imo (at their peak how good were they not how great was their career) That being said while he is still very good and did ok vs khabib/porier until he didn't, Conor should never even be in the conversation as a top 20 fighter of all time.

Back