Helwani makes 500k a year but wants more money.

Mesos

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
“ESPN and top MMA insider Ariel Helwani are entering the late stages of a negotiation staredown that could end in a breakup, The Post has learned. Helwani, 38, is comparable on UFC coverage to Adrian Wojanaski. Helwani has nearly 2 million followers on Twitter and Instagram, building his reputation by breaking stories and being at the heart of the reporting and opinions around the fight game.

Helwani currently makes a little less than half a million dollars per year, according to sources. His current three-year deal is up in June.”

Interesting story, seems like Ariel wants to get paid more and is having difficult negotiations with ESPN because of it. If talks fail he will probably end up with CBS/Showtime where Luke thomas is at.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/14/espn-...ing-contract-staredown/?utm_source=reddit.com

575638f925b1f136015194.gif

Idk that sounds light for his name value and prestige of the position. Not saying im a fan of his but what is the market value of that position. If Bret okomoto makes 500k then Ariel should be making more even though I think Bret is way better. 500k is a lot.of money though, he shouldn't walk away unless he has a better offer.

“ESPN and top MMA insider Ariel Helwani are entering the late stages of a negotiation staredown that could end in a breakup, The Post has learned.

Helwani, 38, is comparable on UFC coverage to Adrian Wojanaski. Helwani has nearly 2 million followers on Twitter and Instagram, building his reputation by breaking stories and being at the heart of the reporting and opinions around the fight game.

Helwani currently makes a little less than half a million dollars per year, according to sources. His current three-year deal is up in June.”

Interesting story, seems like Ariel wants to get paid more and is having difficult negotiations with ESPN because of it. If talks fail he will probably end up with CBS/Showtime where Luke thomas is at.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/14/espn-...ing-contract-staredown/?utm_source=reddit.com
I mean I get it. The dudes been doing this gig for a long ass time and he has a dedicated following that’s stuck with him through several transitions to different networks.

Sounds to me like he knows his worth. Brent and Ariel have created a really nice coverage team for EAPN. Not sure why you’d try to get away from that

Idk that sounds light for his name value and prestige of the position. Not saying im a fan of his but what is the market value of that position. If Bret okomoto makes 500k then Ariel should be making more even though I think Bret is way better. 500k is a lot.of money though, he shouldn't walk away unless he has a better offer.

But Bretts been with Espn for way longer, like a decade now I think. So its only fair he gets paid good. If anything he should be making way more than Helwani

Prob 750 k is more accurate of what he's worth.

Mma journalism is a joke for the most part.

Okamoto has better access to fighters now that Ariel's been blacklisted by Ali, so I can see how that would hurt his negotiation leverage. But he's more of a personality now than a journalist. If he leaves, who could they find to replace him doing multiple original MMA shows a week for ESPN+???

Would be hilarious if he and Luke Thomas had to work together again.

He's good at what he does, but 500k is pretty damn good money.

Reactions: HHJ
Back