Should the UFC make an interim title fight for Bantamweight?

Young Calf Kick

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Aljamain Sterling seems to be out until at least October. While he did milk the situation surrounding the DQ a little bit, I don’t believe his injury is fake. And even if it is, the division is still getting held up for at least half a year.

So Sherbros, should the UFC create an interim title fight with Yan and if yes, who should he face?

If any mods reading this could create a poll, that would be great.

Yes.
Simply give it to Yan, have Yan defend it a couple of times and then strip Aljermain on exactly the 365th day of him winning by DQ.

The way things are playing out Sterling might never get to defend his belt and be pushed way back in line for another title shot the way he is handling it.

Yes.
Simply give it to Yan, have Yan defend it a couple of times and then strip Aljermain on exactly the 365th day of him winning by DQ.

The way things are playing out Sterling might never get to defend his belt and be pushed way back in line for another title shot the way he is handling it.

I think its hard for the UFC to outright pass a title back to Yan. It would look like they are gifting their division honours to someone who got DQed. Not a good look when they have been trying for the past decades to legitimize MMA as a sport.

As for who Yan should fight, I would be ok if they make an interim title fight between him and Sandhagen. While Yan is the People's Champ and 100% would have beaten Sterling if not for the DQ, Sandhagen would most likely be the next challenger anyway. So this doesn't change anything. They can compete and the best fighter will be the champ. None of the ducking nonsense we have with Sterling right now.

I think its hard for the UFC to outright pass a title back to Yan. It would look like they are gifting their division honours to someone who got DQed. Not a good look when they have been trying for the past decades to legitimize MMA as a sport.

As for who Yan should fight, I would be ok if they make an interim title fight between him and Sandhagen. While Yan is the People's Champ and 100% would have beaten Sterling if not for the DQ, Sandhagen would most likely be the next challenger anyway. So this doesn't change anything. They can compete and the best fighter will be the champ. None of the ducking nonsense we have with Sterling right now.
That’s way better than what I suggested, good work sherbro

If Aljo is going to be out for as long as he’s indicated, yes. Little Peter can fight Sandhagen/TJ and then Aljo fights the winner.

The vast majority of fans don't even tune in to watch bantamweight and flyweight title fights. The UFC has repeatedly tried to attract viewers to those divisions, but nothing has worked. So it would make hardly any difference if there is an interim title or not. Maybe the UFC will rematch Yan and Aldo, now that Aldo actually has a win at bantamweight haha.

Yan legit fucked up, so I’m okay with Sterling hanging on to the “official” belt as long as he feels necessary to heal his injuries and bring himself 100% to the rematch.

Anybody with one eye and half a brain saw Sterling getting his ass whooped (especially as the fight progressed) and took the DQ as the default way to the title... so unless some major adjustments are made by Sterling’s team, it’s just a formality until Yan reclaims the title.

Let Yan knock off contenders with a fake Interim belt until Sterling has milked his glory as long as he sees fit.

They need to strip Sterling plain and simple. His "injury" is similar to that of Dustin and Askrens hip surgery. Not urgently needed but something beneficial if you've got the time. It should've been Sterlings priority to get that rematch done ASAP to shut up the haters and get revenge on Yan. But instead he went looking for a surgery he could get to intentionally stall and piss everyone off.

He's not winning the rematch and he knows it. He milked the knee and now he's milking the Belt.

Yes , in this instance I think it makes perfect sense

Yes.

I doubt Yan would want an interim. If he loses then he wouldn't get next shot at Alj and if he wins it would likely further push back a rematch as Yan tends to take a while between fights.

There is no point in an interim at this point. The next fight to make it obvious, and is the biggest fight in the division that can be made.

Not quite yet but Aljo doesn't have that gate/ draw status and I'm sure Dsna has the pulse of what's going on here so I'm going to predict an interim at some point but not now.

Aljo isn’t interim champion? All kidding aside yes if Aljo will be out for a long time then absolutely.

Sure just make up a new belt and give it to the guy who got DQ'd for not following the rules. Very legit champion.

Yes.

Yan blatantly broke the rules and got caught. Fuck him. I'm sure he's good enough to follow the rules and win, but until then let him live this shit out. I think everyone is so mad at Aljo they forget Yan fucked up himself.

6 months layoff isn't that much really. Not enough to warrant an interim title anyway. If champions fought every six or every 9 months, we would be super happy.

Just for the record, I believe Sterling is a diving duck and I hope he gets KTFO by Yan. But unless an year has passed, I can't see an argument for an interim title.

Why is everyone pretending like they've never seen a comeback in an MMA fight before.
Yan was probably going to win; but he hit Sterling with a huge shot that was 100% illegal. So he cheated and landed what could very easily have been a KO shot.

He doesn't deserve to hold the belt right now because he blatantly cheated.
If Sterling's out for a while, give Yan a #1 Contender fight and when he wins, give him the next title fight.

Back