Is Kelvin the same fighter post Adesanya war?

Portland8242

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
NGL, I really like Kelvin as an underdog against Whittaker... I think the style works great in his favor..

BUT... looking over Kelvin's fights since that war with Adesanya..... yikes. Complete dud against Till where he looked trigger shy. Subbed by Jack the second the fight hit the floor and a convincing albeit close win against a very fringe guy in Heinisch.. and no offense to Heinisch but holy smokes does he look slow in there (especially compared to Whittaker who's an extremely quick and crisp MW), I have a feeling the Kelvin from 2 years ago would have lit Heinisch up bad..

Could it maybe be the fight where Kelvin finds his mojo again?

I was worried about his speed too, hopefully it was just some rust and he shook it off with the Heinisch fight. I think he boxes Robs ears off if he's in top form.

A focused Kelvin is a monster. Whittaker gets rocked/dropped in most of his fights nowadays. I feel like Kelvin's speed and combos will be too much for Whittaker.

He was never that good. When was he so great, losing decisions to magny? getting subbed by free-falling weidman? hes always been a lazy 1 trick pony.

He isn't the same.he is more cautious now.

idk he seems to have lost a bit of that fire.

He need to be a bully in there, press the action cut guys off and get inside.

he needs to up the pace, and make guys make mistake's. that when i thought he looked the best.

he just lacks the reach to play the boxing game alone. lately idk seems like he is lunging in a lot with half assed jabs even.

He needs to get closer before pulling the trigger.

idk he seems to have lost a bit of that fire.

He need to be a bully in there, press the action cut guys off and get inside.

he needs to up the pace, and make guys make mistake's. that when i thought he looked the best.

he just lacks the reach to play the boxing game alone. lately idk seems like he is lunging in a lot with half assed jabs even.

He needs to get closer before pulling the trigger.

Well the first obstacle he needs to work through if he wants to land his left is Whittaker's jab, he'll definitely have to eat some of them before he closes distance and finds the target. Also Whittaker's right leg is probably his best weapon and in a southpaw vs orthodox matchup those attacks from the open side are big... Kelvin better keep an eye on those head kicks.

Kelvin has B.J. Pennitis, all the raw physical attributes and athleticism, but lackadaisical in his work (and dietary) habits which becomes obviously apparent when competing at the highest level.

Gastelum should drop to welterweight

You must be high.
Rob Whittaker is an unorthodox karate striker, more fundamentally sound methodical strikers seem to time his blitzes well because he's always attacking in straight lines or throwing the same 1-2 head kick. KG can definitely box him up if his head is on right. He seemed off since his loss to Izzy. Not taking anything away from Till or Hermansson, the better men won in the night.
Gastelum should drop to welterweight
Idk if that's the move if he has really slowed down.

He was never that good. When was he so great, losing decisions to magny? getting subbed by free-falling weidman? hes always been a lazy 1 trick pony.
Magnys legit and Weidman beat Anderson. Twice. Kelvin is in that category when you hear people talk about an early Randy Couture. As far as just being a complete overachiever. Braddah should not even be in that division. Would have been nice to see him get his nutrition under control and he would have probably ended up champ at WW. Its posters like you that make it obvious that you have no idea what you are really watching.

Back