Chael Sonnen dunking some damn logic on ya'll

GrantB13

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

This bullshit of picking and choosing fights, particularly as champion and fight-by-fight negotiations is getting old as hell.

Cliffs for those who don't want to watch the video:

- Promoter determines the #1 contender, the champ just has to show up
- Contracts are in place for a reason. Fighter: "What will I get paid?" Promoter: "I don't know. I have 550 contracts and I don't have yours memorized. You have just one, YOU tell ME what is says."
- Multi-fight deals keep from having to have the same conversations over and over about terms every fight.
- Fighters should have less to discuss every fight and should primarily be responsible for either showing up or don't participate.

I'm fully on board with the UFC running a tighter ship in this case. Personally, I like the idea of the UFC presenting a fighter with a list of two or three fighters per fight. They choose one and that's how it is. No more of this shitty pickiness. Either fight or don't fight. The show will go on. You decide if you want to be a part of it or not.

Nah UFC does some shady shit by extending each contract by EIGHT FIGHTS LOL 8 FIGHTS. So even if a fighter is winning and making a huge name for himself he is still on the same shitty contract when he started if they do not demand to renegotiate. If the UFC was more fair with their contract structure we wouldn't have these issues almost every fight.

Nah UFC does some shady shit by extending each contract by EIGHT FIGHTS LOL 8 FIGHTS. So even if a fighter is winning and making a huge name for himself he is still on the same shitty contract when he started if they do not demand to renegotiate. If the UFC was more fair with their contract structure we wouldn't have these issues almost every fight.
how should they schedule the contracts then?

I agree with uncle Chael. Within the contract terms, the champ should fight who they give him

If enough high profile fighters said they'll take 3 fights or no deal it could really sway things. Losing fighters like Poirier, Lewis, Adesanya, and so on could be detrimental.

Picking venues is not a 'boxing' thing.. my guess is that it was known when signing the fight there likely would be no crowd, and that somebody would be paying a site fee to host the fight, I'm sure the fighters made sure they were getting a cut of this, hence why they get a choice. normally, they don't.. Chael should know this.

Picking venues is not a 'boxing' thing.. my guess is that it was known when signing the fight there likely would be no crowd, and that somebody would be paying a site fee to host the fight, I'm sure the fighters made sure they were getting a cut of this, hence why they get a choice. normally, they don't.. Chael should know this.
Well, Chael's not a boxer or boxing promoter. But also, I think the venue absolutely is something that boxing promoters argue and negotiate over. I don't know who typically makes the final decision but I'm sure headlining boxers like Fury and Wilder make their preferences known.

Here's an article from last year where Bob Arum says he's fielding offers from two different countries to host Fury-Wilder III.

https://www.sportbible.com/boxing/r...in-discussion-for-new-venue-and-date-20200520

Big guys need more recovery time. They aren't as agile and hard camps are terrible on their bodies. The problem is that they get outta shape easier too because they take too much time.

Anyway part of Chael's point is nowadays the fighters are constantly negotiating over who their opponent will be and what date they will fight, and it's exhausting. Guys are just sitting out because they can't get the matchup they want.

Contrast that with a promotion like PFL where fighters sign a contract to compete on a specific date in a specific city for a specific sum, and that's it. They don't negotiate over the opponent, they just fight whoever the PFL puts across from them.

I'd like to see the UFC increase the revenue split fighters make from like 18% to more like 40-49% of total revenue, but get rid of a lot of this drama over who is willing to fight whom.

If Derrick beats Francis = Juiced Jones paid less.

What is less than zero?

The UFC used to be pretty legit with setting up the best fighters in the division to fight. Dana always railed against how stupid boxing was and how it was always a money grab, going as far to say that's why people like the UFC ... because the best fight the best. Then, as soon as it became profitable, he went full boxing promoter mode. It's fucking sad, because he was right back in the day and it's the reason the sport stuck around for so long, now it's becoming a shit show just to draw in retards for ppv buys.

Francis never ducked the Lewis rematch. He just thought June was too early for him. He'll definitely take the fight for July / August if the Jones fight can't be made.
Yeah he should really want to right thay wrong as a competitor

The UFC used to be pretty legit with setting up the best fighters in the division to fight. Dana always railed against how stupid boxing was and how it was always a money grab, going as far to say that's why people like the UFC ... because the best fight the best. Then, as soon as it became profitable, he went full boxing promoter mode. It's fucking sad, because he was right back in the day and it's the reason the sport stuck around for so long, now it's becoming a shit show just to draw in retards for ppv buys.
Ok but what about fighters turning down fights not making their jobs any easier. They all want to make money.

Ok but what about fighters turning down fights not making their jobs any easier. They all want to make money.
Like Tito dodging Chuck? They made an interim belt and had Chuck fight Randy to force Tito's hand. Nothing wrong with stripping champs if they refuse to fight, rather than handing them belts in the first place and letting them cherry pick/not defend like that joke Conor.

This bullshit of picking and choosing fights, particularly as champion and fight-by-fight negotiations is getting old as hell.

Cliffs for those who don't want to watch the video:

- Promoter determines the #1 contender, the champ just has to show up
- Contracts are in place for a reason. Fighter: "What will I get paid?" Promoter: "I don't know. I have 550 contracts and I don't have yours memorized. You have just one, YOU tell ME what is says."
- Multi-fight deals keep from having to have the same conversations over and over about terms every fight.
- Fighters should have less to discuss every fight and should primarily be responsible for either showing up or don't participate.

I'm fully on board with the UFC running a tighter ship in this case. Personally, I like the idea of the UFC presenting a fighter with a list of two or three fighters per fight. They choose one and that's how it is. No more of this shitty pickiness. Either fight or don't fight. The show will go on. You decide if you want to be a part of it or not.

Chael is off the mark here...what he says would make sense if the fighters had GUARANTEED contracts.

What is getting old as hell is fans siding with the UFC, despite a gross power imbalance in which the market and the nature of the contracts *significantly* favour the UFC. As long as that is the case, then I will generally support whatever the fighters do to benefit themselves, even if it disappoints me as a fan.

Are they prizefighters or bench warmers in one of the big league sports.

Scratch that. Bench warmers in any of the big leagues pay at least double what the UFC pays their average fighter.

Chael is gaslighting people for the UFC's benefit. Keep in mind the UFC is literally paying this guy. His moral compass is based precisely on who pays him.

Back