Should Perry be cut?

Martialbeef

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
For me, yeah. He is barely even involved in fun back and forth fights now. I think his level is Bellator.

He takes way too much damage and the guys that he will be matched up against in UFC will just give him cte. He isn’t always going to be given weak guys like Gall.

He mentioned he has 1 fight left in his contract so guarantee we'll see him one last time. If he losses that fight then most likely he will be released.

He mentioned he has 1 fight left in his contract so guarantee we'll see him one last time. If he losses that fight then most likely he will be released.
Luke Thomas mentioned something about he can he cut because he lost that fight

Idk about that, but I believe Perry has to finish his contract and maybe Luke Thomas wasn't aware of that.

From a competitive standpoint - yes - but I’m likely to tune in when he fights although he’s not that exciting anymore.

Idk about that, but I believe Perry has to finish his contract and maybe Luke Thomas wasn't aware of that.

They'll probably be able to cut him if they want. JDS and Overeem both had fights on their contract, the contracts are quite one sided.

That being said I think they'll give him another one against a bottom tier guy because I think they like him.

I don't think he'd have much fun in the Bellator WW division either tbh. Lima, Amasov, Larkin, Koreshkov, MVP, Davis, Storley, Berkhamov at least all beat him imo.

He has mentioned that MW is his future. We'll see.

I find this to be a ridiculous sentiment when in essence, you’re petitioning for someone to lose their job and potentially their living. It’s a bizarre culture that appears to be somewhat desensitised from reality. Let’s instead support these guys who sacrifice too much; and not feed into the established rhetoric of ‘playing promoter’.

They'll probably be able to cut him if they want. JDS and Overeem both had fights on their contract, the contracts are quite one sided.

That being said I think they'll give him another one against a bottom tier guy because I think they like him.

Agree, Dana mentioned he like Perry a lot.

He has mentioned that MW is his future. We'll see.

He would get murdered at MW.
Honestly I see him getting cut after his next fight and going to BKFC, I'm not even sure Bellator is going to jump on the "opportunity"

He doesn't know what happened. That could be the problem. Great fighters - and their coaches of course - figure out what they did wrong even when they win, fix the issues, and keep getting better and better by training hard and training smart. Or maybe he was just never all that good, and when he started to face elite competition he just wasn't good enough.

I doubt they cut him right now anyways. For good or bad, he's a name, people talk about him way more than they do with more talented guys. They can profit from him at least one more time.

He doesn't know what happened. That could be the problem. Great fighters - and their coaches of course - figure out what they did wrong even when they win, fix the issues, and keep getting better and better by training hard and training smart. Or maybe he was just never all that good, and when he started to face elite competition he just wasn't good enough.

He should have the right people on his corner during the fight. At least set aside his ego that he only wants his wife to be by her side at fight night. I believe with proper coaching from the right people, and him willing to listen, they will be able to make adjustments on the fly and win the fights and not let it slip away

For me, yeah. He is barely even involved in fun back and forth fights now. I think his level is Bellator.

He takes way too much damage and the guys that he will be matched up against in UFC will just give him cte. He isn’t always going to be given weak guys like Gall.

No. I think Perry should get one more before he gets cut, win, lose or draw then send him to Bellator.

I find this to be a ridiculous sentiment when in essence, you’re petitioning for someone to lose their job and potentially their living. It’s a bizarre culture that appears to be somewhat desensitised from reality. Let’s instead support these guys who sacrifice too much; and not feed into the established rhetoric of ‘playing promoter’.

I hear what you're saying but this is still supposed to be the top MMA promotion in the world. There's only so many spots for fighters, neither the fans nor Dana etc. want to keep around guys who lose 5-10 in a row for example.

Perry is a 3-7 in his last 10, he has had a very long leash as it is. I do hope he gets one more fight though to turn it around, he is a fan favorite.

Yeah I personally think when any fighter starts to display a lack of professionalism in terms of perpetration and mental health issues the ufc needs to boot those guys or force them to take at the least a year or more off . To much risk in this sport it needs to be treated this way

No. I think Perry should get one more before he gets cut, win, lose or draw then send him to Bellator.
I think you guys are selling Bellator short. They aren't the same company like before picking up all UFC rejects. Now they only sign big stars and big prospects. Mike Perry fall under neither category. I don't think Bellator is interested. He has no chance in their top 10 either except a lucky punch.

he fucked his career up. Mike Perry was never going to the best fighter in his weightclass but he was fun to watch, for the right reasons. People liked watching him fight. That's all gone now. Money is going to be left on the table.

Back