Who would UFC prefer less to have as LW champion by the end of the year, Oliveira or Chandler?

svmr_db

Silver Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Both bring their own pros and cons. I think UFC brought Chandler in under similar conditions to Askren, in that if he could win a few big fights, get some momentum building, that's great... but ultimately though they'd love to see him get shadow realmed in spectacular fashion, just as Masvidal did to Askren. Preferably by Conor if Dana had his way.

Would UFC prefer to have Oliveira as champion, possibly defeating Poirier or McGregor, and have him as a limited draw due to not speaking any english etc?

Or have Chandler as a champion, possibly defeating Poirier or McGregor, and have him legitimize Bellator further by having people say at that point "the best LW in the world was in Bellator all along"?

Last edited:
I don't believe the UFC hates Chandler just because they brought him on from another org :rolleyes::eek:
They have done that plenty of other times with Strikeforce / Pride -- Dana just had a decades long personal grudge with Askren :p
They will be just fine with either Olives or Chandler as champ :)
<{1-10}>

I just meant in that if UFC had their way, they would like the Oliveira / Chandler winner to get served up & beaten by Poirier or McGregor I believe. Oliveira would probably be the worst option for a champion from the UFC perspective just in that he would probably be the least of a draw of the 4 potential options.

They want Chandler probably. He is marketable-ish, remember the Dave and buster's commercials LOL. I can see it now....

"What would Michael Chandler do for a Modelo??"

if chandler wins that means a 145er in bellator is the heir to khabibs throne.

on the flip side marketing oliveira would be a nightmare. even though his legit made his way through a stacked division.

Do they want a marketable All American wrestler champion who knocks people out, that they've heavily marketed since day one and fast tracked into a title shot or would they rather have the guy who doesn't speak English?

tenor.gif

Do they want a marketable All American wrestler champion who knocks people out, that they've heavily marketed since day one and fast tracked into a title shot or would they rather have the guy who doesn't speak English?

tenor.gif

That's mostly how I looked at it but at least with Oliveira UFC can say that he was mostly developed "in house" and finally put everything together etc.

If Chandler goes out there and flatlines Poirier or worse for them McGregor, that elevates Bellator a ton.

That's mostly how I looked at it but at least with Oliveira UFC can say that he was mostly developed "in house" and finally put everything together etc.

If Chandler goes out there and flatlines Poirier or worse for them McGregor, that elevates Bellator a ton.

I don't think they're too worried about elevating Bellator at the moment given their recent ratings.

tenor.gif
Well when you put it like that...

They can control the narrative though, and honestly, very few casuals actually care about Bellator.

Eddie beat RDA back when Rafael looked invincible and was an injury away from fighting Conor, and that didn't do much for Bellator's momentum.

Both bring their own pros and cons. I think UFC brought Chandler in under similar conditions to Askren, in that if he could win a few big fights, get some momentum building, that's great... but ultimately though they'd love to see him get shadow realmed in spectacular fashion, just as Masvidal did to Askren. Preferably by Conor if Dana had his way.

Would UFC prefer to have Oliveira as champion, possibly defeating Poirier or McGregor, and have him as a limited draw due to not speaking any english etc?

Or have Chandler as a champion, possibly defeating Poirier or McGregor, and have him legitimize Bellator further by having people say at that point "the best LW in the world was in Bellator all along"?

UFC already had a former Bellator champ come in and claim the 155 UFC belt: Eddie Alvarez.

They can control the narrative though, and honestly, very few casuals actually care about Bellator.

Eddie beat RDA back when Rafael looked invincible and was an injury away from fighting Conor, and that didn't do much for Bellator's momentum.

Yeah, there's also maybe 10 people who watch Bellator that don't also watch the UFC.

If Michael wins then that means Pitbull is better than all of the lightweights, except for Khabib lol.

I think they want Chandler as the champ, never stops saying lovely things about the UFC and the UFC's staff. Is good looking

Definitely Chandler.
Didn't you see his black history month tthing?
Also he's a really nice guy apparently.

I honestly don’t think UFC gives a fuck about Chandler being an Ex-Bellator champ or legitimatizing Bellator or whatever. Despite what fans believe I don’t think they consider other to promotions to be any kind of threat whatsoever.

They handed Mike the keys to the Kingdom after one fight. There was so many ways they could keep him from the title if they felt like it

Back