Albert Tumenov vs Abubakar Vagaev - top10 calibre match in the WW division?

pankrat

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Champion Albert Tumenov, 29 y.o. 5-3 in UFC, 5-0 post-UFC
vs
Abubakar Vagaev, 27 y.o. 20-3. All 3 losses to the elite of the European scene, all 3 avenged.

Is the winner of this match a legitimate top10 WW worldwide? I think so. Not an easy market for UFC but let's not deny the Russian talent.
Is there any European WW of higher caliber out there? How many in UFC besides the Jamaican Leon?

Wait, did this fight get announced?

In terms of the original question it's definitely a high level fight. Leon Edwards is obviously better than both and I would probably rate Soldic and Amosov higher too.

No. Not sure where the thread will be removed

Oh, I was wondering if Tumenov hadn't been able to get a Visa to get back in the UFC and had to go back to ACA like Kerimov did for now.

Oh, I was wondering if Tumenov hadn't been able to get a Visa to get back in the UFC and had to go back to ACA like Kerimov did for now.

Didnt know he signed back with UFC. Cool. I see a higher ceiling for him than to the very accomplished Emeev and Kunchenko who didnt meet the expectations. I still think Kunchenko could very well be ranked today btw

Didnt know he signed back with UFC. Cool. I see a higher ceiling for him than to the very accomplished Emeev and Kunchenko who didnt meet the expectations. I still think Kunchenko could very well be ranked today btw

I don't think he's actually signed at the moment, but a poster I trust implicitly when it comes to Russian MMA said that he's back in as soon as he can get a visa sorted, but Kerimov was in a similar position but didn't get one, so who knows.

In that division in the UFC it's going to depend on how well he's shored up that wrestling defence once he hits the upper echelons of the division.

What is the point of this thread?

Yes, both are elite. Both are stuck in Russia. Who knows when either will fight stateside again.

Also, it's hilarious in retrospect that Edwards was such an underdog against Tumenov, and that Tumenov got cut for that loss.

A wild Soldic appears... That's the top 4 strikers @ WW tho IMO even tho Roberto fights at middle now. Lima, Wonderboy, Tumenov, Soldic.

Amiran too imo, he does need to do it at a slightly higher level but those knees he throws are something else.

For OP I don't think this is a top 10 caliber fight it's like top 20 level

If you want to look at top 10 level ACA fights look @ LW b/w AAA, Vart, Shabliy (Bellator now)

MW if Ismailov and Duraev got matched would wreck most UFC MWs

Kerefov Gadzhiev was more closer to a top 10 fight. Perhaps Zeinulabidov Kerefov too in the future

Frodo Freis recently matches up more to top 10 level even tho Frodo rekt him.

Vakhaev Goncharov would be a top 10 level HW fight too that happened not long ago. Even Tony Johnson has a win over Volkov

Amiran too imo, he does need to do it at a slightly higher level but those knees he throws are something else.

He's talented but gonna have to see him against legit comp soon. Naurdiev fight getting scrapped and them him getting rekt in Brave hurt Amiran lol

He's talented but gonna have to see him against legit comp soon. Naurdiev fight getting scrapped and them him getting rekt in Brave hurt Amiran lol

I don't know if it really hurt him, unless you mean it took away his chance to wreck Naurdiev.

Wonderboy still has a case imo
Came here to say this.
Wonderboy has consistently faced top competiton in what is a very stacked division/weightclass.

His losses against Till and Pettis don't mean too much to me.
(Till fight was eerily close against a bigger guy and Pettis - despite being past his prime - has had a seldom flash of absolute brilliance which was enough to win him the fight).

Never heard of Vagaev but gonna look him up now.
All 3 losses to the elite of the European scene, all 3 avenged.
Not trying to hate or anything but just wanted to mention that the word "avenged" is fucking powerful.

You could've said, "he's 1-1 against 3 dudes" and it would've sounded pretty lame.
But saying "he's avenged all 3 losses" sounds awesome.

(Heck in theory one have been down 2 losses against someone, and won the third fight and someone could say that one win avenged everything)

What is the point of this thread?

Yes, both are elite. Both are stuck in Russia. Who knows when either will fight stateside again.

Also, it's hilarious in retrospect that Edwards was such an underdog against Tumenov, and that Tumenov got cut for that loss.

Well technically he wasn't cut. The UFC just lowballed him when his contract came up for renewal and he bailed.

What was interesting about the loss to Edwards was how he dominated Leon on the feet. Who does that to Edwards?? Tumenov was an absolute beast of a striker then and has improved since.

Well technically he wasn't cut. The UFC just lowballed him when his contract came up for renewal and he bailed.

What was interesting about the loss to Edwards was how he dominated Leon on the feet. Who does that to Edwards?? Tumenov was an absolute beast of a striker then and has improved since.

Tumenov was lighting him up. It was tied 1 a piece going into the 3rd but Albert has some holes in his grappling Gunnar exploited too. Only other times Leon has looked as lost was when he gassed late against Cowboy and when Barberena almost KTFO him but Albert was putting it on him

Back