Conor vs Yair at 155. What do you think?

Frank McEdgar

=====(SHERDOG)=====
@red
Reaction score
From the perspective of a Conor supporter. Keep this in mind.

I think that last KO damaged Conor more than he realizes. He should take his own advise and rest after a KO like that. Bust since he wants to fight so soon he should go after someone similar in frame to him and a style that makes a good fight but isn't dangerous in term of long term damage.

Dustin is in such a good place mentally right now that Conor likely gets slept again. Justin is too risky, he likely chops Conors legs to bits. WW's... forget that shit.

Yair is 28 and a 5'11" FW. It's time for him to move up now anyways and Conor is a fight he would do that for. The fight will be a great stylistic matchup no doubt.

From the perspective of someone who wants to see Conor succeed and put on a good show, what do you think?

I think that last KO damaged Conor more than he realizes. He should take his own advise and rest after a KO like that. Bust since he wants to fight so soon he should go after someone similar in frame to him and a style that makes a good fight but isn't dangerous in term of long term damage.

Dustin is in such a good place mentally right now that Conor likely gets slept again. Justin is too risky, he likely chops Conors legs to bits. WW's... forget that shit.

Yair is 28 and a 5'11" FW. It's time for him to move up now anyways and Conor is a fight he would do that for. The fight will be a great stylistic matchup no doubt.

From the perspective of someone who wants to see Conor succeed and put on a good show, what do you think?
What I wanna know is how the FUCK does Shane Burgos make 145. He either has supreme genetics for weight cutting or he's jist fucking tougher than tough. Dude looks like he could easily be a WW in there

I think if the goal is to give him someone that would give him a decent shot at winning at 155, Al Ianquinta is probably the guy, it’s honestly who I expected him to fight after cowboy. I’d be down for the yair fight but I’m also not sure it’s a practical matchup as your asking someone to move up a weight class that is doing very well right now

KO's affect fighters different. Some needs serious time off, others can be back in no time. Hard to say what's going on with Conor.

KO's affect fighters different. Some needs serious time off, others can be back in no time. Hard to say what's going on with Conor.
The thing with Conor is motivation. It’s not about talent. We know he has the talent. Even as someone that leans to favor khabib and Poirer I will say without a doubt IMO Conor gave Khabib his closest title fight. He fought the fight the best. And honestly if you were to create a fighter from scratch to make Conor look like shit it’s khabib.

The difference between then and now is that a Conor really truly wanted that win. I believe that. I don’t think he wanted to beat nate diaz in their first fight. And I don’t think he wanted to beat Poirer in the second fight. Maybe he wanted it enough to go to the gym and to show up etc...but it wasn’t the focused Conor we need to see. Conor has too many distractions and to be his best he has to truly dial in. The best fighters have a fire under them...and Dustin has it. Early in his career Conor reminded me of Jack Dempsey’s famous quote

“When I was a young fellow I was knocked down plenty. I wanted to stay down, but I couldn’t. I had to collect the two dollars for winning or go hungry. I had to get up. I was one of those hungry fighters. You could have hit me on the chin with a sledgehammer for five dollars. When you haven’t eaten for two days you’ll understand.” – J.Dempsey

These days Conor doesn’t have that financial need. He doesn’t have the need for the titles he already did that. He needs something else. And I think that “something else” is rivalry. He needs someone he truly wants to beat. He needs his reputation on the line. He needs to not feel content again.

I actually think if the Dustin fight goes through we’ll see Conor focused in a way he hasn’t been for 5 years. Because I think this fight is about to get very personal.

The thing with Conor is motivation. It’s not about talent. We know he has the talent. Even as someone that leans to favor khabib and Poirer I will say without a doubt IMO Conor gave Khabib his closest title fight. He fought the fight the best. And honestly if you were to create a fighter from scratch to make Conor look like shit it’s khabib.

The difference between then and now is that a Conor really truly wanted that win. I believe that. I don’t think he wanted to beat nate diaz in their first fight. And I don’t think he wanted to beat Poirer in the second fight. Maybe he wanted it enough to go to the gym and to show up etc...but it wasn’t the focused Conor we need to see. Conor has too many distractions and to be his best he has to truly dial in. The best fighters have a fire under them...and Dustin has it. Early in his career Conor reminded me of Jack Dempsey’s famous quote

“When I was a young fellow I was knocked down plenty. I wanted to stay down, but I couldn’t. I had to collect the two dollars for winning or go hungry. I had to get up. I was one of those hungry fighters. You could have hit me on the chin with a sledgehammer for five dollars. When you haven’t eaten for two days you’ll understand.” – J.Dempsey

These days Conor doesn’t have that financial need. He doesn’t have the need for the titles he already did that. He needs something else. And I think that “something else” is rivalry. He needs someone he truly wants to beat. He needs his reputation on the line. He needs to not feel content again.

I actually think if the Dustin fight goes through we’ll see Conor focused in a way he hasn’t been for 5 years. Because I think this fight is about to get very personal.
Yeah him dancing along with Dustin's entrance music was a major tell.
I think it's a mix of alot of things. What you're saying about Conor's hunger is true. That mixed with him having no answer for those calf kicks and Dustin's overall game. Not only does Conor need to be dialed in, he needs a major overhaul in his attack and defense. Dude throwed everything with full power. Everything from his shoulder strikes to a couple of foot stomps that sounded like shotgun shots. Can't do that imo.

Rematch will be very telling where Conor is at. And yes, them smearing eachothers good names out there for the world to see, about a charity involving children, yo that's as personal as it get's lol. Conor had bad press over the years and wants to redeem himself so he's gotta be pissed if this is forreal.

No. Conor should fight Poirier like planned or GTFO and spend a year contemplating boxing an aged Pac-Man.

At this point Yair would stance all over Mcgregor. Yair is not easy to hit and has never shown to be chinny. I have Yair by flying round house kick a’la Jean Claude Van Damme

That's a random ass fight. Think that Yair could possibly be a bad matchup for Conor since he's got enough in the tank to go 5 hard rounds, and I don't know how McGregor would deal with kicks from all angles once he's tired.

Fight does nothing for Conor though, he'd be a fool to seek it.

Back