Successful fighters with obscure styles..

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Are there fighters who did well with an unconventional fighting style?

We have established that the conventional MMA styles are kickboxing wrestling and jujitsu.

I know Stephen uses karate But that's the only one I can think of.

Tony "TFerg" Ferguson
#ChampShitOnly

t5LFJtB.gif

Askren was pretty successful for just walking forward and sticking out his lead hand like a paw until he level changed.
Absolutely astounding to look back on how well he did in his career, guy just had a titanium skull and world class wrestling but looked like he had no desire to hurt anyone. There will never be another Ben Askren.

Sakuraba mixed catch wrestling with pro wrestling to create some of the most unorthodox techniques and situations in the history of Mma , very effective and enjoyable to watch
I always liked catch wrestling. Wish there were more guys that represented the art. Everyone is just JiuJitsu. No Catch, no Judo, and a little bit of Sambo.

What!?

Which guy are you talking about?
You know! The monkey guy, the little dude running around in circles like a monkey, and then jumps on peoples backs and monkey slaps them to death. You know, the monkey guy!!
On that note though. Pele would do some crazy stuff in there, and would throw monkey slaps at people. In the Matsui fight I think he monkey slaps the shit out of him

We have established that the conventional MMA styles are kickboxing wrestling and jujitsu.

how can you mention karate but not think of Machida? or are you thinking of just current UFC fighters?

Ryan Hall has a bit of a unique style, basically kicks plus his jiu jitsu

Cung Lee also had more unique style. I don't know the exact term, Sanda or Sanshou inspired? I liked to watch it though

I mean if kickboxing includes Muay Tai then does it also include Karate? Or is kickboxing a type of karate?

Either way I think you covered all the bases with kickboxing, wrestling (grappling), and jiu jitsu (submission grappling).

* Cung Le had a nice little run with his Sanshau style -- he didn't light the world on fire but he had pretty significant wins over Rich Franklin and Frank Shamrock.

* For a guy that has a move named after him that is referenced regularly in MMA Masakazu Imanari isn't a guy that I hear mentioned very often. The bulk of his entire game revolved around leg locks, more or less. He caught some pretty legit fighters, but otherwise would generally lose against upper level opposition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back