No matter how skilled as a fighter, when facing someone like Francis...

true_fan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
It’s more about not getting hit in the face. This guy comes at u from every direction , hooks, looping punches, uppercuts and short hooks and he does all that while wrestling with u or retreating. That’s what Jones’ fans don’t understand. No matter how skilled he is, everything depends on his chin really and how much can it endure. Do we agree on this point?

It’s more about not getting hit in the face. This guy comes at u from every direction , hooks, looping punches, uppercuts and short hooks and he does all that while wrestling with u or retreating. That’s what Jones’ fans don’t understand. No matter how skilled he is, everything depends on his chin really and how much can it endure. Do we agree on this point?

People hate to think that natural ability ultimately trumps "skill". The idea that someone is simply "better" and you have only a limited ability to overcome them - mostly dependent on what the other person chooses NOT to do - hurts lots of egos.

Who the hell knows? I recon if Jon can beat him then Dominick Reyes can too. Possibly even Jan. By these metrics Francis Is a gatekeeper. It’s a bunch of guesswork.

People hate to think that natural ability ultimately trumps "skill". The idea that someone is simply "better" and you have only a limited ability to overcome them - mostly dependent on what the other person chooses NOT to do - hurts lots of egos.
Some people people like to think talent trumps hard work as well. Who says Francis is not skilled? Gtfo of here with that nonsense.

Some people people like to think talent trumps hard work as well. Who says Francis is not skilled? Gtfo of here with that nonsense.
GTFO with what dingbat?? Show me where in my post I said Francis isn't skilled....I'll wait...

GTFO with what dingbat?? Show me where in my post I said Francis isn't skilled....I'll wait...
I realized after I posted this how it might be viewed. I apologize. I was not attacking what you said. More so attacking the narrative of skill vs raw talent that seems to permeate discussions about this fight.

I think Sherdog is over exaggerating and hopping on the hype train as always. It took Ngannou many, many years to win the title in the weakest HW division ever, he already has 2 losses along the way. He has terrible cardio, he was already tired by round 2 against Stipe and he can lose any fight just from that huge weakness alone.

Big punches only matter when they land.

For as powerful and effective as Francis has been he is also quite predictable. He bites hard on feints, can be drawn into wild counters with feints and jabs, throws pretty much exclusively right left right left patterns, doesn’t really vary his speed or timing.
And none of that has mattered because he has gotten away with it so far due to his eraser power.

It will take a very well executed performance, but Jones and his team certainly it could be the ones to pull it off. Jon has shown exceptional defense throughout his career and he can follow a game plan. He Hasn’t really ever been hurt badly. He will have the size to contend with Francis by the time they fight.

Can he avoid the big shot?
Hopefully we will see.

At the elite levels of combat sports, crazy power has been bested many times by effective defense, counters and overall strategy.

Jon certainly COULD avoid the big bomb long enough to get Ngannou tired and get the W via some combination of wall and stall, Jab n grab, point fighting ... possibly a submission.

It won’t be easy, but it is possible.

Last edited:
I think Sherdog is over exaggerating and hopping on the hype train as always. It took Ngannou many, many years to win the title in the weakest HW division ever, he already has 2 losses along the way. He has terrible cardio, he was already tired by round 2 against Stipe and he can lose any fight just from that huge weakness alone.

His record is 90% fossils or cans too.

Let’s say the cardio is an issue. Let’s say you are absolutely right about what you are saying...Bottom line is, who is lasting long enough with him to put that theory to the test?

To say he has “terrible” cardio might be a stretch. Obviously he’s no Colby. But the dude as a lesser version of himself did go the entire 5 rounds against Stipe getting beat down/wrestle fucked and was still there.

Back