Boxer Jarron Ennis contract with Promoter - for Comparison

Fergelmince

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I'm putting this in the UFC forum so that maybe someone can add knowledge about a comparable UFC fighter's contract, and consequently stimulate a conversation regarding the pros and cons between the 2.

Jaron Ennis is an American boxer, currently fighting in the welterweight division. He is 26-0 as a pro, and ranked #8 in the U.S. and #12 worldwide according to BoxRec HERE

I guess maybe he's equivalent to a #8 Dan Ige ($120K + 50K PoN Bonus in last fight) or #12 Shane Burgos ($24K + $50K FoN bonus in last fight) in the MMA world?

Clifs from the posted contract:
  • 5 year contract
  • $2500/mo salary
  • guarantees at least 8 offers for fights in year 1, at least 6 offers in year 2, and at least 4 offers in years 3, 4 and 5.
  • $2500 per fight for 4 and 6 round fights, whereas 8, 10 and 12 round fights will be "negotiated in good faith."
  • Promoter will pay fighters "medicals" as required by State athletic commissions.
  • Signing bonus of $45K in year 1, and $30K at end of year 1

Ennis is a special talent, at this rate he'll be making 7 figures a fight in the next few years if all goes well.

I'm putting this in the UFC forum so that maybe someone can add knowledge about a comparable UFC fighter's contract, and consequently stimulate a conversation regarding the pros and cons between the 2.

Jaron Ennis is an American boxer, currently fighting in the welterweight division. He is 26-0 as a pro, and ranked #8 in the U.S. and #12 worldwide according to BoxRec HERE

I guess maybe he's equivalent to a #8 Dan Ige ($120K + 50K PoN Bonus in last fight) or #12 Shane Burgos ($24K + $50K FoN bonus in last fight) in the MMA world?

Clifs from the posted contract:
  • 5 year contract
  • $2500/mo salary
  • guarantees at least 8 offers for fights in year 1, at least 6 offers in year 2, and at least 4 offers in years 3, 4 and 5.
  • $2500 per fight for 4 and 6 round fights, whereas 8, 10 and 12 round fights will be "negotiated in good faith."
  • Promoter will pay fighters "medicals" as required by State athletic commissions.
  • Signing bonus of $45K in year 1, and $30K at end of year 1

so he’s not making that much money then? But yeah as others have said he will be making much more soon if he career takes off.

You also have to factor in when the contract started. It wouldn't be comparable to the top 10 fighters currently, he got that contract as a developmental fighter. After last nights fight he is close to having some big fights coming up. He will probably be able to renegotiate his contract for bigger pay.

Contract might have been better as a shorter contract instead of 5 years. But having a monthly salary is nice, don't have to worry about having to fight to cover expenses, bills, and training.

His first year he would've got $105,000 with his signing bonus plus his monthly salary pay for the year - and that isn't including any fight purses.

How old is that? I mean, at 27 fights there is no way he fights anything less than 10-12 rounds and some form of belt, which are going to require negotiation, and he gets 30k a year while not fighting, sounds awful low at 2.5k, a joke, but no way he fights that few rounds at this stage, and he got signing bonus too, odd contract but not exactly a bad one.

Last edited:
so he’s not making that much money then? But yeah as others have said he will be making much more soon if he career takes off.

Not sure if that's a lot of money or not (compared to other combat sports). Total 1st year compensation if he accepts 2 fights = $45K bonus + $30K Salary + $5K fight compensation = $80K +, depending on how many rounds the fights are.

Boots deserves better, made Lipiniets look like he didn't belong in there with him.

I like that the contract is structured for security, but imo this kind of structure may lead to even safer fighting. Leaves nothing to incentivize, unless those "good faith" fights are for huge bags.

How old is that? I mean, at 27 fights there is no way he fights anything less than 10-12 rounds and some form of belt, which are going to require negotiation, and ge hets 30k a year while not fighting, sounds awful low at 2.5k, a joke, but no way he fights that few rounds at this stage, and he got signing bonus too, odd contract but not exactly a bad one.
Seems like an old contract from when he was starting out.

Here's an article where his opponent is asking for $350,000 to fight Ennis. This was last year so he's probably making even more now since he just beat a former champion.
https://www.boxingscene.com/jaron-ennis-this-year-everyone-see-im-an-elite-fighter--145800

Seems like contracts and pay is similar in the beginning but once the boxers get closer to the top 10 the pay difference becomes obvious, if comparing with Burgos pay vs boxers with similar ranking.

Boots deserves better, made Lipiniets look like he didn't belong in there with him.

I like that the contract is structured for security, but imo this kind of structure may lead to even safer fighting. Leaves nothing to incentivize, unless those "good faith" fights are for huge bags.
Seems like an old contract from when he was starting out.

Here's an article where his opponent is asking for $350,000 to fight Ennis. This was last year so he's probably making even more now since he just beat a former champion.
https://www.boxingscene.com/jaron-ennis-this-year-everyone-see-im-an-elite-fighter--145800

Seems like contracts and pay is similar in the beginning but once the boxers get closer to the top 10 the pay difference becomes obvious, if comparing with Burgos pay vs boxers with similar ranking.

I tried to search around for a date but couldn't find one, but I thought the info was thought-provoking nonetheless.

As ya'll are pointing out, he is more than likely getting paid way more now, and the key part is that 8, 10 and 12 round fights will be "negotiated in good faith." Those are definitely the money fights and the total payout is probably based on who his opponent is and who else is on the fight card, so they can't put exact dollar figures on the contract.

I tried to search around for a date but couldn't find one, but I thought the info was thought-provoking nonetheless.

As ya'll are pointing out, he is more than likely getting paid way more now, and the key part is that 8, 10 and 12 round fights will be "negotiated in good faith." Those are definitely the money fights and the total payout is probably based on who his opponent is and who else is on the fight card, so they can't put exact dollar figures on the contract.
Yeah it seems like this was his first contract, so if people are comparing his first contract starting out with Burgos who is ranked 12, it shows the discrepancy between boxing vs mma in pay.

Not sure if that's a lot of money or not (compared to other combat sports). Total 1st year compensation if he accepts 2 fights = $45K bonus + $30K Salary + $5K fight compensation = $80K +, depending on how many rounds the fights are.

I don't think any new UFC signings are pulling in 80k before bonuses...not with only 2 fights....didnt holland do 5 fights for over 100k...with bonuses included?

I don't think any new UFC signings are pulling in 80k before bonuses...not with only 2 fights....didnt holland do 5 fights for over 100k...with bonuses included?

Did he? I didn't know he was that active.

I don't know what Ennis's first 10 fights were, regarding # of rounds, but apparently he fought 10 fights to reach $100K his first year.

Bonuses aren't guaranteed, with Ennis first contract he had a guaranteed signing bonus plus another bonus right after the first year. Also this was Ennis first contract, not his contract climbing up the ranks. You would have to compare Holland's recent pay with Ennis's recent pay. Fights last year for Ennis they were making $350,000 offers so he's making even more now.

Bonuses aren't guaranteed, with Ennis first contract he had a guaranteed signing bonus plus another bonus right after the first year. Also this was Ennis first contract, not his contract climbing up the ranks. You would have to compare Holland's recent pay with Ennis's recent pay. Fights last year for Ennis they were making $350,000 offers so he's making even more now.
Yeah...he made significantly more then most first or second year UFC signings barring any immediate title implications..like a michael chandler.

I just found this ..

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/thesportsdaily.com/2021/03/21/kevin-holland-career-earnings-fox11/amp/

Not sure the accuracy or how it compares..youd have to minus the bonuses... I guess to get the contract worth

Yeah...he made significantly more then most first or second year UFC signings barring any immediate title implications..like a michael chandler.

I just found this ..

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/thesportsdaily.com/2021/03/21/kevin-holland-career-earnings-fox11/amp/

Not sure the accuracy or how it compares..youd have to minus the bonuses... I guess to get the contract worth

So he's averaging just over 25K/mo or 305K/yr. I kinda think Holland is an outlier as far as newer (in the last 3yrs) fighters in terms of average income. Probably the best way to compare these days is to look at the income for the contender series (started July 2017) fighters on average. I just don't have the wherewithal to look all that shit up.

Back