Gaethje vs. RDA

Ajax41

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Who you think wins this? It’s the match to make right now based on current fight bookings and rankings. Plus it’s an interesting style matchup. Can Gaethje handle the well rounded && seasoned attack of RDA? Can Justin break the iron chin?

I think RDA rolls him tbh. Good enough to avoid the power, likely to grapple off kicks and wear down Gaethje with his pressure. Buuut.. if Gaethje can beat him he’s as good as they say he is.

Unless Khabib took Gaethje's soul (as some think...but no evidence yet), I think Gaethje takes this. The Gaethje who beat Tony had 5-round cardio, more measured/technical striking and still unloaded with a high volume of powerful punches and devastating leg kicks. RDA is a good, well-rounded fighter but he loses to the best grapplers and strikers....and I think Gaethje is one of the best LW strikers. And no one except Khabib has managed to keep Justin on the ground for more than a few seconds. His submission defense looks pretty shaky, but he was a D1 wrestler and is good at TDD and scrambling back to his feet. I don't think RDA has the wrestling or top control to do what Khabib did...as long as Gaethje is smart and doesn't gas.

Also, RDA is 36 and has been fighting in the UFC since 2008. All those years of fighting good competition take a toll. It might be different if he spent most of his career in small orgs with easy, 1st round wins...but he's had his share of wars.

Last edited:
I'd heavily favor Gaethje here. Yes Gaethje looked bad on the ground vs Khabib... but I think people are putting a lot more weight into that than they should. That was Khabib. RDA is not Khabib. Nobody is Khabib. Gaethje is still an elite striker with phenomenal hands, great footwork, and the best leg kicks in the game. And he is not at all easy to take down (even though Khabib made it look easy). RDA's best days are behind him and I think he would struggle with Gaethje's pressure and power.

Justin and it will look pretty rough for RDA

I'd heavily favor Gaethje here. Yes Gaethje looked bad on the ground vs Khabib... but I think people are putting a lot more weight into that than they should. That was Khabib. RDA is not Khabib. Nobody is Khabib. Gaethje is still an elite striker with phenomenal hands, great footwork, and the best leg kicks in the game. And he is not at all easy to take down (even though Khabib made it look easy). RDA's best days are behind him and I think he would struggle with Gaethje's pressure and power.
I agree. Gaethje would be a solid favorite for me.

Who you think wins this? It’s the match to make right now based on current fight bookings and rankings. Plus it’s an interesting style matchup. Can Gaethje handle the well rounded && seasoned attack of RDA? Can Justin break the iron chin?

I think RDA rolls him tbh. Good enough to avoid the power, likely to grapple off kicks and wear down Gaethje with his pressure. Buuut.. if Gaethje can beat him he’s as good as they say he is.
Trevor Whitman can figure RDA out as far as striking is concerned. Obviously if it’s hits the ground Gaethje is fucked but RDAs takedowns aren’t at the level where I see the fight going to the ground. Gaethje by decision.

Trevor Whitman can figure RDA out as far as striking is concerned. Obviously if it’s hits the ground Gaethje is fucked but RDAs takedowns aren’t at the level where I see the fight going to the ground. Gaethje by decision.

Who’s tds has Gaethje stopped at RDAs level? You think Whitman will just figure out a Cordero product just like that? I mean i’d give Gaethje a slight edge standing but RDA is definitely good enough to find grappling openings.

RDA probably takes him down & submits him with a head-n-arm choke. Gaethje has been protected from grapplers his entire career.

I love the technical improvements he made in his footwork & punching mechanics but he can't grapple for shit. He made Brian Foster look like Jake Shields on the ground in the WSOF. Khabib is a great grappler but even Conor did way better on the ground.

I would be shocked if Gaethje accepted a bout against RDA, Islam, or any great grapplers next.

Who’s tds has Gaethje stopped at RDAs level? You think Whitman will just figure out a Cordero product just like that? I mean i’d give Gaethje a slight edge standing but RDA is definitely good enough to find grappling openings.
RDA no longer with GOATdeiro, Jesse Pinkman is his coach the last few years.

When Islam was scheduled to face RDA, all I saw here was “he’s washed” “won’t mean anything for Islam, RDA isn’t even top 10” “he loses to every LW now days” but when RDA faces anyone else he’s an elite fighter.

Sherdog is funny with their biases

Who’s taken Justin down easily besides Khabib?

RDA probably takes him down & submits him with a head-n-arm choke. Gaethje has been protected from grapplers his entire career.

I love the technical improvements he made in his footwork & punching mechanics but he can't grapple for shit. He made Brian Foster look like Jake Shields on the ground in the WSOF. Khabib is a great grappler but even Conor did way better on the ground.

I would be shocked if Gaethje accepted a bout against RDA, Islam, or any great grapplers next.

Bingo

McGregor was also permitted to commit at least 19 fouls in that fight.
MJ, DP, Yaquinta, Barboza also did worlds better on the ground the Gaethje. Anyone who makes Foster look like Shields is terrible on the mat. It is what it is.

No one said it would be easy. RDA is really good and smart at timing takedowns and is definitely good enough on the feet stay in the fight until he gets one.
I’m not saying it’s impossible for RDA to take Justin down, I’m only saying I don’t think he will. That’s all. It will go down on the feet, and Gaethje’s ace in the hole is Trevor Wittman.

When Islam was scheduled to face RDA, all I saw here was “he’s washed” “won’t mean anything for Islam, RDA isn’t even top 10” “he loses to every LW now days” but when RDA faces anyone else he’s an elite fighter.

Sherdog is funny with their biases

I know you’re not talking to me. I called that a win over RDA would be suuuuper high level. More so than guys ranked above him even based on style alone.

I’m not as high on Gaethje but i won’t argue. I will say i thought RDA looked in prime form against Felder (who looked awesome btw) . He really only lost to the best of the best at a higher weight class. I really haven’t seen the slow but hey he’s not getting any younger

Back