What was Daniel Cormier talking about?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
He was talking about how Holland had to worry about behind him, not only what's in front of him. I was always under the impression you wrestle what's in front of you.

I mean, once they have the lock under your butt, you are screwed no matter who you are. What's the defense to that? Even Cormier got taken down when Jones had the lock around Cormier's butt.

So what on earth was talking about? And what's the defense to that anyways? Seemingly none.

I don’t remember that comment, but sprawling maybe

I remember that comment, but I can't recall it perfectly. He made it sound like he believed Holland had no awareness when/if Vettori even had his hands clasped together, is that correct?

I think he meant by defending behind, he meant defending vettoris hands from clasping around behind him, and defending the trips that were behind his leg, but comparing his ground game to Ngannou in the first Stipe fight was pretty stupid.

He was talking about Vettori continuously clasping his hands at will behind Holland. Holland seemed to have no answer at all for it and honestly looked as if he had no idea it was happening.

Maybe he was talking about the cage?

Holland constantly letting himself get pressured close to the cage gave him no option of sliding backwards when Marvin from Mordor shot for the takedowns.

This they even brought up Woodley at a moment for a point of reference as he's famous for getting backed up against the cage

This they even brought up Woodley at a moment for a point of reference as he's famous for getting backed up against the cage
I missed that they brought Woodley up, but yeah, that makes sense.

It made me kinda furious how Holland fought at times. I can't fault him for losing grappling exchanges themselves, as he can't just become a better grappler on the spot, but the guy is fast, agile, has accurate hands and is long as f*ck, which is why i was constantly shaking my head about him not even trying to laterally escape from Vettori when he was closer to the cage. It also annoyed me that despite the success with the straight punches he had from range, he just rushed right into the the close range (inevitably getting into the clinch) with Vettori after landing a shot or two, subsequently getting taken down again...

The guy has great physical and in some regards technical talent, but his decision-making can be very frustrating at times.

Is this before or after the arm triangle was locked and he said the fight was over?

Is this before or after the arm triangle was locked and he said the fight was over?

no whenever Brunson was pushed up against the cage a second before he was taken down.

I think he meant by defending behind, he meant defending vettoris hands from clasping around behind him, and defending the trips that were behind his leg, but comparing his ground game to Ngannou in the first Stipe fight was pretty stupid.

I'm fairly sure you defend that from in front of you so he doesn't get the lock...what is Cormier smoking. If he has the lock, he has the lock. You work for underhook and whizzer and angling your hips in that situation i think

Cormier was off his game today, going off on tangents and losing his train of thought.

Didn't Cruz say in response that Holland should be putting his hands out in front of him? I think he meant in a hands hanging and palms out position, such that he could prevent the hands from locking behind him.

I'm not sure what DC specifically was referring to but cage awareness is extremely important. You have no ability to avoid the clinch if you can't keep track of where the cage is and stay off it.

Back