Question about Frank Mir comment on Brock Lesnar...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I remember Frank talking about how ignorant Brock is about jujitsu and he is naming jujitsu moves, techniques and positions only to end it with "You probably don't know what they mean!"

Yet despite all those BJJ knowledge, he got beat badly in the rematch. I am a bit confused, are there moves in BJJ that don't translate well in the UFC while wrestling does? Or did Brock have the type of strength to overwrite the technical aspect of Mir's BJJ?

I would give this a like if I could, lol.
I gave him one for you.

To the point, Brock's strength is insane. He has a grappling pedigree (NCAA champ) and his overwhelming size was simply too much for Mir. It wasn't necessarily technical, but yeah, he trapped an arm and beat Frank's ass.

EDIT: Also, yes. The way BJJ is used and awarded in tournaments is not always conducive for scoring in MMA.

Wrestling plus tacked sub defence. Lethal combination. Look at what colby does.

Just a reminder: They did go 1 & 1.

But I agree, I’d call it for Brock in a third fight. The BJJ bottom game did not work out so well the second time against the power of an enormous freak athlete with high level wrestling skills who had some time to work on his sub defense.

Over the years, a BJJ bottom game approach has become less and less useful in MMA it seems. I don’t have stats on that, but I’ve observed it and heard commentators saying it. Could be wrong.

Punch a black belt in the face he becomes a brown.....

I don't think Frank was wrong about Brock's lack of knowledge of maneuvers. It just doesn't matter much when a gorilla is holding you down and punching you in the face. Go ahead, try your omaplataboogedybookimura to half guard escape technique. Didn't work? Hmph...weird. It's almost like raw strength, freak genetics and athleticism trumps that shit, or something.

I remember Frank talking about how ignorant Brock is about jujitsu and he is naming jujitsu moves, techniques and positions only to end it with "You probably don't know what they mean!"

Yet despite all those BJJ knowledge, he got beat badly in the rematch. I am a bit confused, are there moves in BJJ that don't translate well in the UFC while wrestling does? Or did Brock have the type of strength to overwrite the technical aspect of Mir's BJJ?

NCAA 1 champ + freak genes + BJJ training + punches allowed >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
BJJ Black belt Mir.

I'm sure that Lesnar could fuck up most BJJ black belts from the top.

Brock was too strong...likely juicey...

Also brock came with a much clearer gameplan in the second fight... and was clearly targetting mirs previously shattered femur with brutal knees...

A focused brock would be a problem for most guys...

Brock's size played a big part.

once Brock got him in the half nelson the fight was basically over. Mir's upper body was totally immobilized by the half nelson because of Brock's strength and size and his lower body couldn't do anything because he closed his half guard essentially pinning himself.

he was too comfortable with letting Brock be on top. he needed to open his half guard and use his hips to buck and cause a scramble or a sweep before Brock got the half nelson on him. he never once threatened Brock with anything from the bottom after the initial scramble where he went for a leg.

it showed that with a strong base on top, you can beat the fuck out of Frank Mir as long as you stabilize your position.

Wrestling plus tacked sub defence. Lethal combination. Look at what colby does.

NCAA 1 champ + freak genes + BJJ training + punches allowed >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
BJJ Black belt Mir.

I'm sure that Lesnar could fuck up most BJJ black belts from the top.

Honestly, it finally makes sense now!

I used to train in judo/sambo for fun before Covid. I got the impression that my Sambo coach never liked BJJ because it felt like it was a gracie propaganda designed to mislead people to the effectiveness of pure ground fighting. But I noticed that more and more, wrestlers/stand up grapplers tend to have insane advantage over ground fighters.

Is it accurate to say that, wrestling and stand up grappling is harder to learn and thus a higher learning curve and yet more rewarding because its a skill not as abundant as ground grappling/BJJ?

I always wondered that when Khabib wore" If sambo was easy it would be called BJJ" since sambo very wrestling heavy.

Back