Holland w/ Takedown defense = Legit Contender

Mesos

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Looking at Kevins past two loses was rough but its clear he has alot of talent. He just really sucks at Takedown defense. Its really his only weakness. He already has good creative striking, very good BJJ, solid chin, and decent cardio.

Once he improves his takedown defense hes gonna be a problem for the top 5 guys. Thoughts?

His wrestling def needs work. He seems to like playing guard but when guys are easily 15-20 pounds heavier than you of muscle thats a issue. Moving down seems to be the move for holland.

Looking at Kevins past two loses was rough but its clear he has alot of talent. He just really sucks at Takedown defense. Its really his only weakness. He already has good creative striking, very good BJJ, solid chin, and decent cardio.

Once he improves his takedown defense hes gonna be a problem for the top 5 guys. Thoughts?
Holland is a journeymen. I said this before. He will improve with his wrestling. His fight IQ will be the bigger issue.

Man had vettori hurt and went in for the kill, but did it in an unintelligent way and gave his hips right to Vettori. over and over again.

He also needs to go down to WW. those strikes could have knocked out any WW.

tenor.gif

While his TDD needs to improve, he could avoid tons of takedowns by not letting himself get pressed against the cage so easily.

Holland has SO FUCKING MANY TIMES been just standing there inches away from the cage, not trying to escape laterally at all, it was horrendous.

-Terrible gas tank

-low output

-No ground game

-low motor

I don’t see it whatsoever.

You act like he can just download TDD like its the Matrix or something. He's so far below UFC level in that regard. It's going to be hard to even get it to an average level.

People thought the same about Khabib's stand up and oh and behold he developed a good enough Jab and some of the best Striking Defense at 155, point is, you'll never know and with the right amount of time, practice and application he can become competent in that area where he's not as easy as he is now.

I would say he should go down to WW, but then again... it’s packed with wrestlers

People thought the same about Khabib's stand up and oh and behold he developed a good enough Jab and some of the best Striking Defense at 155, point is, you'll never know and with the right amount of time, practice and application he can become competent in that area where he's not as easy as he is now.
We comparing Kevin Holland to Khabib. What are we doing right now?

Kevin Holland is not some young prospect. He's kinda seasoned. He will improve. But he will not be a champion.

While his TDD needs to improve, he could avoid tons of takedowns by not letting himself get pressed against the cage so easily.

Holland has SO FUCKING MANY TIMES been just standing there inches away from the cage, not trying to escape laterally at all, it was horrendous.

Like Cormier was saying, Holland just doesnt know what hes doing with wrestling and he definitely put himself in bad positions because of it. Definitely why Vettori was taking him down easy

We comparing Kevin Holland to Khabib. What are we doing right now?

Kevin Holland is not some young prospect. He's kinda seasoned. He will improve. But he will not be a champion.

Read the second part and you'll understand, it shouldn't be that hard to comprehend, let's not act like a Woman and find the insult that isn't there.

<{hfved}>

If you don't like the comparison to Khabib fine enough, but let's not act like I'm insulting him because I said he developed his stand up in a way people thought he couldn't do. Let's not do that dumb shit.

Like Cormier was saying, Holland just doesnt know what hes doing with wrestling and he definitely put himself in bad positions because of it. Definitely why Vettori was taking him down easy
That too, but Holland ALSO standing upright there doing nothing whatsoever to get away from the cage annoyed me even more, because it's not like Holland is slow or can't move and it's not like Vettori is a god tier cage cutter either...

Holland is a journeymen. I said this before. He will improve with his wrestling. His fight IQ will be the bigger issue.

Man had vettori hurt and went in for the kill, but did it in an unintelligent way and gave his hips right to Vettori. over and over again.

Hes 28 and has some good wins. I wouldn’t put him in Journeyman territory yet. Theres time for him to improve his wrestling and I think he would benefit from having a real striking coach too. Even then with the bad corner he had, he caught Vettori with some very good strikes.

Read the second part and you'll understand, it shouldn't be that hard to comprehend, let's not act like a Woman and find the insult that isn't there.

<{hfved}>

If you don't like the comparison to Khabib fine enough, but let's not act like I'm insulting him because I said he developed his stand up in a way people thought he couldn't do. Let's not do that dumb shit.
Whoa. Sexist.

I read the second half of it. The guy is 28. Khabib was 23. Holland's not a younger guy anymore. He's entering his prime. He can get better at it, but like I said, dude will remain a journeyman. He's not sniffing a title.

These are fixable things imo. Think about it if, he gets a real striking and wrestling coach it would turn him into a completely different fighter. He has the tools, just needs better guidance. As for 170 drop, he would definitely be better off there

yeah but Khabib had years of Sambo experience and started as a grappler. from what i've seen, it's easier to develop serviceable striking than it is to develop serviceable grappling.

Also throws himself into his opponent with his hands too high to defend.

Whoa. Sexist.

I read the second half of it. The guy is 28. Khabib was 23. Holland's not a younger guy anymore. He's entering his prime. He can get better at it, but like I said, dude will remain a journeyman. He's not sniffing a title.

I agree that he isn't sniffing a title, but that wasn't necessarily where I was leading to with my point, only that he could develop a level of competency if he took the necessary time, I said it a while ago that he wouldn't reach Izzy so that it was pointless to talk about him, he can still be a fun fighter to have and a decent name to add to any card if he patched up that hole in his game.

Also the woman part was straight facts lol, some girls deconstruct compliments and delve deeper into their insecurities worse than Twitters current cancel culture lol. You say their hair looks nice, and they'll come back with some shit like "It WaSn'T nIcE bEfOrE?" and have a mental seizure at the helm of hearing it smh.

Back