Change my Mind: Different size Octagon cages is unfair?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Obviously different size Octagon cages have their advantages for certain styles of fighters. For a striker a larger cage gives them room to maneuver and strike ( Hit & Run) and avoid the takedown, if you are a wrestler/ground fighter the smaller cage is advantageous to you because your opponent has less room to maneuver and escape and you can get them against the cage easier which helps with takedowns.

Change my Mind: The Octagon really should be 1 standardized size.

Can you imagine if every other basketball game they changed the height of the hoop, or if football and soccer changed the length of the field dramatically?

You want them to fight on a football field?

Obviously different size Octagon cages have their advantages for certain styles of fighters. For a striker a larger cage gives them room to maneuver and strike ( Hit & Run) and avoid the takedown, if you are a wrestler/ground fighter the smaller cage is advantageous to you because your opponent has less room to maneuver and escape and you can get them against the cage easier which helps with takedowns.

Can you imagine if every other basketball game they changed the height of the hoop, or if football and soccer changed the length of the field dramatically?

Yeah it's not fair obviously. They prefer smaller cage I think for more action. I think.

It's fair if they know the size before they signed the fight

It might not be fair if actual octagon is different from their agreed contract

You can jam HW's in a phone booth to appease the JBG's, but it's shit for taking all styles into account. They do it to force KO's. Dollar signs.

It affects movement based fighters the most that use backwards movement to maintain distance. Smaller cages forces them to have to use lateral movement instead, which a lot of fighters don't have so they end up backing up to the cage instead. Smaller cages benefit pressure striker fighters and grapplers that like to use the cage for takedowns/control.

I just hate the bigger cages because it means more time spent walking rather than fighting.

I don't think it matters cause it offers pros and cons for any style and both fighters are affected by it. My OCD of course prefers a standard everywhere, but whatever. Cage, ring - circle or an octagon - it's all MMA at the end of the day.

What you define as fair will determine a closed cage vs open arena. A big cage is somewhere in between?

I enjoy watching good strikers so I am biased.

At this point, I am more concerned with the rules and Judges changing the way they judge for the better.

Both fighters are fighting in the same cage, aren't they?

Actually yes. In soccer, the field dimensions vary from one stadium to another. They have to comply within a certain range but it can still vary significantly.

Agree with TC.

also doesn’t baseball have something like this? Different size fields or something?

Not "unfair", but it's indeed stupid that even inside UFC things are all over the place - cage sizes, rulesets*, what have you depending on state and place. Bush league shit they cannot get things working on a professional level standard.

*not directly their fault due to political fuckary, but still!

I'm assuming not every MMA gym has the privilege of having multiple cages of different sizes.
Really sucks if you don't even have the means to train for the cage you're fighting in

Are all boxing rings the same dimensions? Seem like a professional sport would standardize the ring, cage, court or field on which the sport is played or competed.

Fighters signing contracts know the octogan size at the time. Guys can agree to fight X fighter but request one size over the other when trying to find which weekend works

Are all boxing rings the same dimensions? Seem like a professional sport would standardize the ring, cage, court or field on which the sport is played or competed.

Major league baseball says hi

Back