Someone remind me why Brock agreed to fight Ubereem?

GoofMaster93

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Back then I had only been a casual fan of MMA for a few years. I only knew the champions and bigger names at the time

I can't remember why Brock even decided that he would fight Overeem after coming back from diverticulitis which I still believe wasn't any bs and Brock really had it. Respect to Brock for doing it because as we all know Overeem at the time was 270lbs of K1 championship level striking while Brock was getting schooled by Pat Barry in the gym

The UFC should have given him a comeback fight. I guess they figured that Brock was done anyway but I'm still not sure why Brock even agreed to it in the first place especially since the fight before that he got beat pretty badly by Cain

EDIT: I don't want the Sherbros to think I'm hating on Brock, it's quite the opposite actually

Last edited:
Say what you want about Brock, but tbh he was matched up against a run of killers. He came into the UFC 1-0 in his entire career. Fought Mir, Herring, Couture, Mir again, Carwin, Velasquez, Overeem, and Hunt. Props to him.
I don’t know why he took the Reem fight, maybe he thought he could implement his wrestling and GnP on him? Was never going to go down that way.

What do you mean, it was def Ubereem. Ubereem ended after Reem’s failed PED test which was after the Lesnar fight.
True , but he also had shrunk somewhat by then. Against Rogers and during his k1 one he was even bigger and significantly so.

Brock had a career-threatening illness and returned against Shane Carwin, who up to that point was an unstoppable KO-machine. He got his ass kicked all over the cage for the first five minutes and smiled going into Round 2.

Brock had heart.

There were fights in Strikeforce and K-1 where Overeem was in the 250's, but against Lesnar he was 262-263 lbs; he was Ubereem against Lesnar.
yeah but I don't think he was in better shape or stronger in his first ufc fight, also his body looked less impressive

Even sherdog back when this was scheduled was confused. Brock was halfway retired and rekt from his illness, and we believed Ubereem was unstoppable after winning k1 tourney. The contrarians would say brock's wrestling could win it. I mean he'd only been outwrestled by Cain beforehand so they thought Overeem would be on his back.

Because he got paid a heap of money to do it and he's not a bitch? Say what you will about Brock but the guy didn't have to fight much and doesn't wrestle often but he still got paid a giant amount of money without really taking that much damage so he's a hell of a lot smarter than most athletes

Brock had a career-threatening illness and returned against Shane Carwin, who up to that point was an unstoppable KO-machine. He got his ass kicked all over the cage for the first five minutes and smiled going into Round 2.

Brock had heart.

He did, Brock was a beast:

003.jpg

His debut was pretty crazy as well. Pretty much mauls Min-Soo Kim who already had 5 pro fights against good competition:

He took the fight because his name is not jon "duck bones" jones

Even sherdog back when this was scheduled was confused. Brock was halfway retired and rekt from his illness, and we believed Ubereem was unstoppable after winning k1 tourney. The contrarians would say brock's wrestling could win it. I mean he'd only been outwrestled by Cain beforehand so they thought Overeem would be on his back.

I thought Lesnar would be able to get the td as well at the time. Still feel like he never really put his all into that fight in terms of wanting to win. Overeem was a monster but Brock was still Brock

Back