Ok, please explain ‘grounded’

sgtrocknroll

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
1. Is a fighter grounded with two knees down and two hands down?
2. Is a fighter grounded with two knees down and one hand down?
3. Is a fighter grounded with two knees down and no hands down?
Feet can be exchanged for knees above.

1 or 2 knees on the ground = always grounded in every state.
2 hands on the ground (palm or fist) = grounded in every state.
1 hand on the ground (palm or fist) = grounded in some states, but not in others.
Fingertips on the ground = Not grounded.

There's 2 rule sets regarding "grounded fighters" and some commissions adopted the new ruleset, but not others. The main difference is that in some it doesn't matter if it's both hands or just one. In states with the "new" rules, it has to be both hands, one is not enough. I believe Nevada is still under the "old" rules (2 feet and 1 hand is enough). At least that's how I understand it. But a knee down is considered grounded in every commission.

Last edited:
If one knee or ANY part of the body other than a single hand or the soles of the feet is down, you are down.

Some states let you put one hand down and still be upright. Those are the new rules. The old unified rules, it's just the soles of the feet and any hands ground you.

Eta: deleted names of states because I'd have to check the list for each but Nevada apparently still uses the old rules

Fighter must have both hands — palms or fists — down on the ground in order to be grounded, unless a knee or anything other than the soles of the feet are also down.

tumblr_mj4egvVay41ry1rm7o1_250.gifv

Legal

DefiantCompassionateBeagle-size_restricted.gif

That's fucking illegal

GleamingScarceDalmatian-size_restricted.gif

Just to see the stupidity of the rule

I always thought it was a single knee on the ground, which is simple enough. These rules with hands, palms, knees etc etc are crazy.

What if you had a single knee on the ground and the standing fighter kicked the standing leg? That is legal and could force the downed opponent to his back or side. The standing fighter could then jump in for some GNP.

I get the confusion. The Unified Rules changed from fingertips to palms a few years ago, to fix the confusion. Unfortunately a) not all states adopted the new rules, and b) Mousasi v Weidman happened in the midst of it all, magnifying the issue.

But 1 knee down has always been a grounded opponent. The only confusion was whether only a palm or fingertips (no knees down) make a grounded opponent. And currently the answer is (I think) 2 palms down = grounded.

Last edited:
1 or 2 knees on the ground = always grounded in every state.
2 hands on the ground (palm or fist) = grounded in every state.
2 feet and 1 hand on the ground (palm or fist) = grounded in some states, but not in others.
Fingertips on the ground = Not grounded.

There's 2 rule sets regarding "grounded fighters" and some commissions adopted the new ruleset, but not others. The main difference is that in some it doesn't matter if it's both hands or just one. In states with the "new" rules, it has to be both hands, one is not enough. I believe Nevada is still under the "old" rules (2 feet and 1 hand is enough). At least that's how I understand it. But a knee down is considered grounded in every commission.
This is very confusing as a fan of the sport, can see how Yan can be confused.

No matter what rules...

If a knee or knees are touching the mat ur down...

The rules are pretty simple and not confusing...the rules are also given to every fighter and every champion would know them quite well as its not likely there first fight for the promotion

Theres no excuse for the knee...no way Yan the champion didnt know the rules

Grounded:
Anything other than feet on the ground

See how easy that was?

NOT CONFUSING AT ALL.

The rule change, that people are jumping through hoops to try to make confusing when it isn’t, is simply that a guy who is standing can’t touch the floor with 1 hand only (while standing) to make himself “grounded.
And again this rule is not adapted in most states and when it is, it is specifically mentioned.

New rules:
Standing plus 1 had only down is not grounded
Standing plus 2 hands down is grounded.

A knee down is and always has been down, and always will be.

Last edited:
If a fighter is on his back, belly, ass or knees they are grounded.
Also added is the 3 points of contact. So both feet and one hand.
Aljo was on his knees. This fits the definition under every commission.

Back