Better career resurgence Blachowichz or Lawler?

13Seconds

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Lawler is the poster boy when the topic career resurgence is discussed but does Jan have him beat here?

Jan was at one point 2-4 in the UFC and was almost cut from the promotion. Now he's the champion and a huge star in Poland getting greeted in the airport by thousands of people.

Screenshot_20210308_183938.jpg

He avenged his losses to Corey and Manuwa, sent Rockhold to semi retirement, most people thought Reyes beat Jones. Jan destroyed Reyes to become the LHW champion. Now he has one title defense under his belt vs one of the most impressive fighters on the roster.

Crazy.

Last edited:
Lawler went 1-3 in the UFC in 2003-2004 and got cut.

8.5 years later he was invited back to the UFC.

10 years (and 2 months) after getting cut, he won the belt.

I hear what you're saying, but the answer is Lawler. By a mile. Still.

What Jan has done is awesome. Sherdog trends lately seem to be that if something is not THE MOST GOAT THING EVER, it somehow diminishes it. That's a sherdog phail. Don't fall into that silly trap. Jan's career comeback is awesome, even if it's not the most awesome career comeback ever.

Lawler, I love Jan but he hasn't shown that level of pure violence yet. Izzy is still a better and more legitimate win then any of Lawler's title run tho

Both have great resurgence but I pick Jankovich, just coz of the fact that Lawler had a close/controversial fight to win the title and another one vs Condit. Jankovich has been dominant in his title fights so far.

Last edited:
Lawler's resurgence was amplified to a higher degree partially because of the insane grit he showed in his two title defenses, the determination and toughness he showed that pretty much told his opponents "There is no way in hell you're gonna take this from me unless you kill me" was bone-chilling and something spectacular to watch. I don't think we'll ever see somebody win a title a decade after getting cut ever again (well who knows actually, Sage maybe?), let alone have a title defense as grueling and brutal as Lawler's two.

idt either answer is wrong, Lawler was one of the most exciting champs I've seen imo, he had a banger with Hendricks, Rory and Condit, but also at the same time never looked dominant in his title fights, he barely beat Hendricks in the rematch, he was losing to Rory prior to the tko in round 5 and most ppl felt that Condit won, Jan however, has looked very good, he crushed Reyes and beat Izzy 4-1

Lawler has 2 gifted title fight wins on his record.I'll go with Jan

Lawler went 1-3 in the UFC in 2003-2004 and got cut.

8.5 years later he was invited back to the UFC.

10 years (and 2 months) after getting cut, he won the belt.

I hear what you're saying, but the answer is Lawler. By a mile. Still.

What Jan has done is awesome. Sherdog trends lately seem to be that if something is not THE MOST GOAT THING EVER, it somehow diminishes it. That's a sherdog phail. Don't fall into that silly trap. Jan's career comeback is awesome, even if it's not the most awesome career comeback ever.
Idk I feel like even if Patrick Cummins was his only loss... If you lose to Patrick Cummins and go on to win the belt, that's pretty incredible.

Here's a shout out to RDA, BTW.

• 2008-2009: started off 0-2
  • 2008-2011: started off 4-4.
  • 2012-2015: went 10-1, won the belt.

Idk I feel like even if Patrick Cummins was his only loss... If you lose to Patrick Cummins and go on to win the belt, that's pretty incredible.
He Carwin'd himself. Not an excuse. Just an explanation for what happened.

Lots of folks thought it was a draw (28-28), but none (EDIT: one) of the judges gave him a 10-8 for the first round beating. And he lost 29-28 (EDIT: one judge gave him a 10-8, and Jan lost a majority decision 29-28, 29-28, 28-28)

And it forced him to recommit to grappling. So that's a good thing :)

Lawler was regarded as a mid tier guy at Strikeforce, losing 5 of 8 during one stretch. His first UFC fight back was against Koscheck, when Koscheck was a legit stud. Vegas had Lawler as a huge underdog, +275. He beats Koscheck and goes on a tear to become the UFC champ and defended his title twice.
P7HPVb.gif

Lawler had the most entertaining title run of all Time, IMO.

Such great fights

Last edited by a moderator:
Verdict is still out for Jan, he could string a title defense streak and earn a HW title shot and have quite a career.

Jan's came more out of nowhere I think. Lawler was a guy that seemed like he COULD break through and many people were already rooting for him to make a resurgence.

Idk who's was better but I would definitely say Jan was more surprising to me. I wasn't too confident he'd win basically any of the fights in his current winstreak.

Back