Why doesn’t Francis Ngannou ever pay homage to sokoudjou ?

Why should he? Francis is the real predator, not the Hollywood movie lookalike.

Sokodjou never reached a UFC title shot and really underperformed for how good everyone thought he would be.
Aw, this sucks, he had so much going for him!
Super explosive & athletic, strong Judo base, trained at Team Quest with some of the best wrestlers of the time, very easy to promote to fans, etc...

He was supposed to be the future of Team Quest but sadly, after his loss to Lyoto Machida in a "undefeated phenom vs undefeated phenom" kind of fight, (and yes he had a loss to Glover, but back then nobody knew who Texeira was, and assumed it was a massive fluke).well Sokoudjou could sadly never recapture the lightning in a bottle that were his KOs over Lil Nog & Arona.

Man, just imagine some unkown guys came out of nowhere today and knocked the fuck out of 2 top 5 LHWS in less than 2 min (Rogerio was ranked #3 and Arona #5 IIRC), that was enormous.

Obviously, Arona went on to complain that he was suffering from dengue fever at the time of the fight. BTT till the end, eh?

Poor Soko never felt the same after Minowaman cracked his chin

It might feel strange to newer fans, but Soko was massive news back in the end-of-PRIDE kinda days.
Had things played out differently, and had he beat Machida that night, the UFC LHW landscape could have looked a loooot different for a while.

'member when Karo Parisyan took advantage of Soko's sudden fame to claim that he had beaten him at a Judo tournament years before?
He even posted old ass footage on shaky cam to back his claim up, likely anticipating a rebutal from Thierry.

But nope, the predator was simply happy to see this event was filmed, and stated that he remembered losing to a smaller guy, but he had no idea it was Karo until the watched their match again...

Last edited:
Aw, this sucks, he had so much going for him!
He was supposed to be the future of Team Quest but sadly, after his loss to Lyoto Machida in a "undefeated phenom vs undefeated phenom" kind of fight, and yes he had a loss to Glover, but back then nobody knew who he was, and assumed it was a massive flukewell Sokoudjou could sadly never recapture the lightning in a bottle that were his KOs over Lil Nog & Arona.

Man, just imagine some unkown guys came out of nowhere today and knocked the fuck out of 2 top 5 LHWS in less than 2 min (Rogerio was ranked #3 and Arona #5 IIRC), that was enormous.

Obviously, Arona went on to complain that he was suffering from dengue fever at the time of the fight. BTT till the end, eh?

Poor Soko never felt the same after Minowaman cracked his chin

It might feel strange to newer fans, but Soko was massive news back in the end-of-PRIDE kinda days.
Had things played out differently, and had he beat Machida that night,

Minowa is actually a pretty good fighter. he just fought most of his career way above his weight class. Crazy warrior.

Here's one answer:

"After UFC 220, I was asked whether Francis N'Gannou is the 'new Sokoudjou'. I don't think so. Or rather, there certainly isn't enough evidence to conclude that yet. There are meaningful differences in their ascent, fighting style, record of achievement and more. While no comparison is perfect, I'd argue Shane Carwin might be better as a comparable choice. Yes, N'Gannou and Sokoudjou share a native homeland in Cameroon, but the two only overlap in a very zoomed out, macro perspective. Here's my argument from my radio show."​

There is only one predator:

ggRQNW6.png

Last edited:
Sokodjou never reached a UFC title shot and really underperformed for how good everyone thought he would be.
He is really undersized for the weight he fights in. He is about the same frame most UFC welterweights have. I gave him a water bottle once in 2006, he wasn't famous yet, super nice guy, but about same size as me. Could have wrecked shop if he ever wanted to fight guys his size. He's a freak of nature for his size. He had two fights against Jan. One he won one he lost by decision.

Last edited:
Back