It's crazy how obsessive people are over who the GOAT is

achoo42

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
One thing I noticed about Sherdog is how obsessive people are about their GOAT pick.

Fedor fans will constantly berate Khabib fans, vice-versa, same with Silva and Jones, GSP, etc. Certain users will ride the nuts of certain fighters as if everything they did was flawless.

But the fact is, all the fighters in the GOAT discussion have asterisks next to their name:

—GSP didn't convincingly finish several fights
—Anderson Silva wasn't as well-rounded
—Fedor has an inflated record
—Jon Jones has his eyepokes and failed tests
—Khabib only won 4 title fights
—DJ didn't fight a lot of greats

Based on what people value the most in MMA, they'll have a different GOAT pick. Maybe some people value the flawless dominance of Khabib over having a long title run. Maybe the P4P skill of DJ is most important to other people. Or the exciting power of Fedor.

Everyone values different things. It’s like ice cream flavors, it's just too subjective to get riled up over.

Last edited:
I just go off what I see in the cage/ring and by that metric Fedor is the goat of the past era and Khabib is the goat of this era

Everyone values different things. It’s like ice cream flavors, it's just too subjective to get riled up over.

Yep. But if we didn't get riled up over it, it wouldn't be fun in the first place.

It's natural to obsess over Fedor

people obsess over how to tear down as hard as possible the goat candidates that are not the one they support.

Yeah it gets a little weird when people are that emotionally invested in someone they don't know.

I remember a few days ago when people used to think that Adesanya was better than Silva lmao

Levels to it

I just go off what I see in the cage/ring and by that metric Fedor is the goat of the past era and Khabib is the goat of this era
Khabib was a bonafide champ, but only a fool's metric has him as the GOAT. Of all the debated things on tis topic, one thing is for sure- GOAT is based on actual performance, not hypotheticals of what someone COULD have done. Longer careers enable one to meet those who match up well with them eventually. Khabib COULD be the GOAT, certainly you could set that hypothetical up. Actually being the bonafide GOAT would take more. GSP, Fedor, OK. Khabib? Not yet.

Yeah, the GOAT discussion has been the rage for many years. Everyone's favorite is the GOAT.

And when that champ loses, (s)he was never that good in the first place. That's the Sherdog forums for you. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I literally just saw someone say that Costa would destroy Izzy in a rematch just because he lost to Jan.

Actually GSP fans hate on every other GOAT candidate, whereas Silva, Jones, Fedor and even Aldo fans are mostly cool with each other. GSP fanbase is certainly the least amicable with their "holier than thou" attitude
That is completely false.

I am a GSP fan and I have no problem with any of the other GOAT candidates. Fedor fans are great. It's insecure Silva fans that start all of the GOAT bashing.

The Fedor shit is weird. He used to be my favorite all time fighter back in the day, but his fans got fucking annoying with how delusional they are. The whole obsession with the PRIDE era on Sherdog is almost like a religion at this point.

I kind of assume the people having the same argument over and over again (usually with the same people) are enjoying themselves.

I find it pointless, so I tend to stay out of it.

I just look at Jones, Anderson, GSP and Fedor as the Mount Rushmore, however you wanna rank them is fine but imo its clear those 4 have legacies that stand out among the rest.

People are way too quick to try and add new names to the list though. The closest guys out there right now to being at that level are still 3+ good wins off of being in the discussion, including Khabib.

Back