Video Proof That Low Kicks Existed Before 2021

robbie

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
1988 - American Kickboxing Champion vs. Muay Thai Champion
Rick Roufus vs. Changpuek Kiatsongrit
Limited Rules Exhibition Fight - several Muay Thai techniques were disallowed including knee and elbow strikes

Last edited:
There is this semi-dead section called Muay Thai and Kickboxing.

You realize Low kicks are what make muay tai the best standup and they have been used in almost every muay tai fight for the past billion years

You realize Low kicks are what make muay tai the best standup and they have been used in almost every muay tai fight for the past billion years
I posted this as a sarcastic response to McGregor and his camp being surprised by low kicks in 2021 and some of his Sherdog fans calling low kicks a secret weapon or a dirty tactic. I predicted Poirier would win and recommended: stick & move, wrestling, clinching and low kicks to thigh and calf as a winning strategy and a way to gas McGregor. If I can make those suggestions with no MMA fighting or coaching experience, how can McGregor act surprised that an opponent used low kicks against him especially given how he has his lead leg out there for the taking.

I posted this as a sarcastic response to McGregor and his camp being surprised by low kicks in 2021 and some of his Sherdog fans calling low kicks a secret weapon or a dirty tactic. I predicted Poirier would win and recommended: stick & move, wrestling, clinching and low kicks to thigh and calf as a winning strategy and a way to gas McGregor. If I can make those suggestions with no MMA fighting or coaching experience, how can McGregor act surprised that an opponent used low kicks against him especially given how he has his lead leg out there for the taking.
Lol at me for not getting the sarcasm seriously though I don't know how they suddenly hate a technique because their favorited criminal got beat by it. the kicks been around for years can still be checked so I think it's stupid af to want it banned.

Im sure he was surprised at the calf kick, looking back without referencing, I think its the first time hes encountered them.

Reactions: MCS
The recent trend is the different placing of the kick becoming popular. A suddenly more used technique that's more effective. So fighters get surprised by the damage to the area it targets.

Of course this won't work for forever. For every technique that impacts the fight that much defense gets then drilled more. This is the actual part of evolution of the sport. It is not cutting more weight. So banning the technique does damage to the progression of MMA.

I remember the fight between Paul the polar bear Varlens and Marcos Ruas. Brutal!

MMA Video (2018) - Calf Kick Strikes and Defensive Tactics

To me, it doesn’t matter how old a technique has existed. All that matters is WHEN the technique became more widely used in MMA.

That’s like saying 1993 UFC demonstrated nothing because BJJ and submission holds originated 350 years ago. Maybe so, but the average athlete and Joe-blow didn’t learn about it until 1993 and even then, it wasn’t widely adopted until a few years after when everyone knew how to defend subs etc...

Same for calf kicks and spinning shite.

Back