More Jon Anik. Less Rogan/DC. The UFC really needs to fix this.

BullyKutta

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
It's absolutely shameful how bad the commentary for tentpole events has gotten in the UFC.

Last night was easily the lowest point in the league's PPV history. The problem is that the UFC doesn't seem to value or understand broadcasting very well, so it leans on people who know nothing about it. Make no mistake. Broadcasting is an artform.

Listen to Jon Anik for 2 minutes, and you'll hear what I mean.

Just off the top of my head, here were some of the worst offenders from last night:

• "He's in deep doo-doo" - Joe Rogan
  • "Jan's biting on Adesanya's feints too much." - Rogan/DC
  • "Drew Dober is the most underrated fighter in the UFC!" - Rogan
The Rogan/DC combo, especially, sounds like being wedged between 2 drunk guys at Buffalo Wild Wings who won't SHUT THE F*** UP and leave me alone to watch the fights.

I hope the UFC is listening because I've literally switched over to the Spanish simulcast to get out of the line of fire of DC's/Rogan's verbal diarrhea.

I'll also add a post-script.

Rogan needs to stop commentating like a former fighter. He's never been in there and makes an ass of himself every time he 'pre-calls' a move.

Anik is just a bad, he's an embarrassment. Proverbially speaking, of course.

I wish there was no commentary at all tbh. Watched some boxing fights recently on youtube without commentary it was a really good experience. All comentators are biased one way or another, and focusing on the fight instead of a guy high on dmt freaking out about a punch that got blocked but he was too high to see is way better.

Your life must be pretty damn good with little hardship if something like this bothers you so much.

this is not a hate post I’m genuinely happy you have a nice life so please don’t think I’m bashing you. I’m not at all. Just find it interesting

I love how after literally every event there is equal number of threads discussing fights and discussing commentary team and what they said wrong

I agree about DC and Rogan just sounding plain old dumb.
Jon Anik annoys me for a different reason-- I don't know if it was Al Michaels or Bob Costas who said the best advice they ever got when they started broadcasting was being reminded that if you are hired as an analyst or commentator, your job is to analyze or comment about it. Don't just say what happened because the tv audience can see it. Don't say what they could see.
Outside of the fight he's fine, but during it, 90% of Anik is just saying what we see with little to add to it. "He throws a right hand and goes in for a single leg. Can't quite get him down as he pushes him against the fence. His opponent working for the underhook."
He would be great for radio and blind people.

I would rather listen Paul Felder talk about himself for the 100th time during the fights he's supposed to commentate than have Rogan's BS take on fights in which he has a clear favorite.

I'm glad I'm finally seeing more threads about this problem. The bias and groupthink between them is insane. Rogan especially can't let go of his first impression of a fight, and oversells/no-sells shots based on who he wants to win. It's an unprofessional embarrassment.

Anik is far worse.

He tries so hard to turn things into catchphrases. Every card he says "the man around whom this card was built."

He frequently refers to fighters as "insert name of their kid's dad." For example, "Kobe's dad getting it done tonight."

He repeatedly tries to turn verbs into nouns. When talking about landing a punch, he often says "that was a nice land."

He tries to narrate almost everything that is happening in the cage during the fight, despite having very limited technical knowledge of MMA. There is no reason to describe everything that is happening. It's TV, not radio. Besides there is always a fighter next to him that can break down technical aspects of the sport.

He has a very strange laugh and he is constantly giggling throughout the broadcast. No other commentator in sports giggles on air anywhere near as much as Anik. It is incredibly unprofessional. Where is the "cough button"?

I love how after literally every event there is equal number of threads discussing fights and discussing commentary team and what they said wrong

Everyone that has been to the gym once now thinks they now have secret MMA knowledge and have surpassed anything Rogan might know.

Is Joe wrong from time to time? Even a lot? Sure... So what?

I've seen Teddy Atlas be wrong a thousand times... It's a fight and things happen fast. Still like to hear his views.

It could have been worst, imagine cruz dc and rogan yesterday. Good cruz was fighting

Respect to Anik, you could tell he was trying to be the voice of reason to counterbalance Rogan and DC's ridiculousness. It's a difficult spot for him though because DC was an actual fighter and Rogan thinks of himself as one

Back