Don't throw the belt on the ground

Mr Joyboy

Doctor of Divinity
@purple
Reaction score
Thinking specifically of Gaethje throwing the belt on the ground after beating Ferg, and Sterling doing it last night.

In fairness I only heard the commentators say Sterling threw the belt away and didn't see it since I only switch tabs for the fight.

Throwing the belt on the ground makes the org that pays you look like shit. If you aren't happy with what you won or how you won it say in your interview "I'm honoured to have the belt [or whatever] but there's still a lot more I need to do before I'm satisfied/I still have something to prove", etc.

A lot of the UFC model relies on people believing the belt is meaningful, and fighters make more money for holding the belt, so don't make it look like shit because you're a sulky manchild. If Dana hands you the belt, put it over your shoulder like an adult.

Gaethje threw it away because he wanted the real one, which was cool.

Aljo either didn't like the way he won it or wanted to act like he did and it was more a statement of him not feeling like he really won it than anything else.

I don't think anyone is going to think either situation makes the belt unimportant.

Sterling knows he got lucky, and he's a paper champion. That's why he threw the belt down.

He knows Yan was the better fighter in that fight..

Ev3tBu6XYAQZWQS

He seems happy with belt on his shoulder

This is the org that puts CM Punk on a main card and makes a "bad motherfucker belt" to have career journeymen fight over. It's a carny org and it would have been better had Vince listened to his son and bought it out.

I totally agree, I was just saying the same thing in another thread. It totally devalues the belts—even the interim. If Gaethje thinks the interim belt is shit, why the fuck should I care and be asked to pay for a PPV with an interim title headliner?

Gaethje threw it away because he wanted the real one, which was cool.

Aljo either didn't like the way he won it or wanted to act like he did and it was more a statement of him not feeling like he really won it than anything else.

I don't think anyone is going to think either situation makes the belt unimportant.

Sterling knows he got lucky, and he's a paper champion. That's why he threw the belt down. He knows Yan was the better fighter.

Then they should make these statements about themselves, and not shit on the belt.

The whole idea of a belt is continuum between greats across eras. It's connected all the way back to Dan Severn, Coleman, Penn, GSP, Anderson, etc. It's "the same belt", so don't make it look like trash.

Eh, UFC belts are a joke. Dana has a stack of them under his desk ready to be turned into an interim at a moment's notice.

They should step on them after throwing them on the ground.

I think you're overrating the significance of the 2 second sequence of Aljo doing that lol... Winning a title on a DQ will make people think his title isn't meaningful, not some symbolic act.

But if it makes you feel better, he might've redeemed himself in your eyes... lol:

Merab-Dvalishvili-Aljamain-Sterling.png

I totally agree, I was just saying the same thing in another thread. It totally devalues the belts—even the interim. If Gaethje thinks the interim belt is shit, why the fuck should I care and be asked to pay for a PPV with an interim title headliner?

Because it's a #1 contender fight. Gaethje knew he wasn't the best LHW in the world without beating Khabib so didn't want a belt saying he was (and he got proven right bless him).

This is the org that puts CM Punk on a main card and makes a "bad motherfucker belt" to have career journeymen fight over. It's a carny org and it would have been better had Vince listened to his son and bought it out.

Eh, UFC belts are a joke. Dana has a stack of them under his desk ready to be turned into an interim at a moment's notice.

They should step on them after throwing them on the ground.

All belts are props and all fight promotions are carny to some degree.

Props need to have their credibility cared for to protect the business.

The context of both situations made it sensible. And considering the UFC went bananas using that clip of Justin tossing the IC belt, Joe questioning him, and Gaethje remarking that he's "Waiting for the real one" when promoting the Khabib fight... I don't think they mind so much lmao

Aljo doing the same thing was very understandable given the situation. He was keeping it real there IMO.

All belts are props and all fight promotions are carny to some degree.

Props need to have their credibility cared for to protect the business.
don't worry about it too much. their marketing department will take care of it. Aljo tossing the belt isn't going to suddenly expose them

Because it's a #1 contender fight. Gaethje knew he wasn't the best LHW in the world without beating Khabib so didn't want a belt saying he was (and he got proven right bless him).
Then just call it a #1 contender fight. But the UFC doesn’t think they can sell a fight like that, so they make meaningless interim belts that devalue the whole product overall. The interims are so watered down that no one—including the fighters—take them seriously, yet the UFC promotes it like it means something and we’re expected to care and spend money on the PPV.

The fault isn’t Gaethje’s really, it’s the UFC’s. They’ve made so many interim belts that they’ve become meaningless.

Thinking specifically of Gaethje throwing the belt on the ground after beating Ferg, and Sterling doing it last night.

In fairness I only heard the commentators say Sterling threw the belt away and didn't see it since I only switch tabs for the fight.

Throwing the belt on the ground makes the org that pays you look like shit. If you aren't happy with what you won or how you won it say in your interview "I'm honoured to have the belt [or whatever] but there's still a lot more I need to do before I'm satisfied/I still have something to prove", etc.

A lot of the UFC model relies on people believing the belt is meaningful, and fighters make more money for holding the belt, so don't make it look like shit because you're a sulky manchild. If Dana hands you the belt, put it over your shoulder like an adult.

no throwing the belt and NO kneeling for the national anthem!

im just kidding youre a pussy if you care about either thing

Interim belts are a complete joke and should disappear because everybody knows they are not “real” and no one says “My goal in MMA is to become an interim champion”.

Back