Was Izzy's performance less than expected or Jan's more than expected

DOMMA

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Vegas and most of the pros predicted Izzy winning this fight. So, either Izzy underperformed or Jan over performed. What do you think?

Jan just had a good gameplan and executed it well.
When he didn't wrestle for first 3 rounds i thought he's dumb enough to think that he can outstrike adesanya through the entire fight, but he actually went for the takedowns in the right moments instead of forcing them. Good job.

Gameplan worked out perfect, stayed on the feet at the begging of the fight and really didnt get picked apart like most said he would, then he turned to option B which he has and executed perfectly.

He did well to come out of it unscathed, it was just size really, the deciding factor was the fact he couldnt get Jan off him after the 2 takedowns.

Jan has to be better than expected. I guess hes not just a champ of a weak era of 205 after all. The guy is legit when you compare his performance to yoel, costa and whitaker who are considered elite champ level fighters at 185

It's not easy going up in weight and fighting naturally bigger opponents.

It's just that Sherdog for some reason (reason being most Sherdoggers are dumb) find it natural, cuz they're used to believing that P4P means you're able to beat anyone.

Vegas and most of the pros predicted Izzy winning this fight. So, either Izzy underperformed or Jan over performed. What do you think?
It was DEFINITELY a case of Jan performing better than expected. Many of Jan's biggest supporters were hoping Jan would "catch" Israel with the Polish Power. Others predicted Jan to go grappling heavy from the go.

Jan showed much better defensive than almost anyone could have anticipated. He fought with extremely high fight IQ consistently throughout the fight. His offensive striking we knew was a threat, but even there he showed great patience. People will now question Adesanya's TDD but those takedown could not have been timed better.

As far as Adesanya goes, he did his usual Izzy tricks. Obviously there are points to criticize but he did have some success. Mostly people doubted Adesanya could deal with the power but Adesanya took the shots well IMO. There were close rounds. Izzy seemed to be close to baiting Jan into a wild excuse but the counter takedowns and ground control sealed his fate.

I'm certainly not writing Adesanya off against anyone. I personally am on the Adesanya is humble team and I think his reaction to the loss only further showed it.
And yes, IMO you can be humble and confident.

I thought Jan was going to grapple from the start and his gas tank would run low enough for Izzy to catch him.

Great job by Jan. Now he can fight the real contender Glover, who is actually on a win streak at 205 and who deserves to shove the title belt up Dana's ass for transforming the top MMA organization into ESPN/Disney dreck.

Meanwhile Bellator is about to take a huge dump all over the UFC LHW division

Jan is a good ass fighter, better than I thought. Good jab, great at checking kicks, good kicks himself, uses his range well, very composed. He won a lot of the striking at range, despite what Rogan was saying. I knew he was a much better grappler, but wasn’t sure if he’d be able to take him down. The timing on the tds on rounds 4 and 5 was perfect, great fight IQ.

I think the size played more of a factor than people thought too. Jan is huge, I felt like Izzy’s strikes didn’t have the effect they normally have, and he didn’t have the length advantage he usually has at MW.

I was disappointed in Izzy's low kicks. He had 5 rounds to chip away at Jan and slow him down. Everyone knows it's the new meta. Jans knee should have been beet red at the end of the fight

Back