Islam Makhachev is the best lightweight on the planet.

haven't really seen him overwhelm his opponents with GnP tho have we? that's how Charlie Olives would fold on bottom but seems like Islam isn't doing too much of that

He ran over Dober, and Dober is a really good fighter. Islam looks scary folks..

tbh I've never been high of makhachev until last night. We already knew that dober wasn't the greatest grappler in the division but watching makhachev in there looked like he was just playing.

I know that people, in this thread, say he wasn't overwhelming anyone with ground and pound but to me it looks like there are plenty of opportunities to land ground and pound but instead it's like islam is acutely aware of his dominance in this position and instead takes mercy and instead plays position and looks for the sub- and to this effect reminded me of khabibs fights with gatheje and Poirer where it looked like he could have pounded them into the ground but instead sought for the submission

tbh I've never been high of makhachev until last night. We already knew that dober wasn't the greatest grappler in the division but watching makhachev in there looked like he was just playing.

I know that people, in this thread, say he wasn't overwhelming anyone with ground and pound but to me it looks like there are plenty of opportunities to land ground and pound but instead it's like islam is acutely aware of his dominance in this position and instead takes mercy and instead plays position and looks for the sub- and to this effect reminded me of khabibs fights with gatheje and Poirer where it looked like he could have pounded them into the ground but instead sought for the submission

i agree. That would be the only negative in his performance. Large portions wasn’t making dober pay enough.

All I saw was 2 rounds of a magician that couldn't get out of a straight jacket. Then he quit from boredom

tenor.gif

Some people actually picked against Islam.

He looks very impressive to be sure, but he's going to have to knock off more than unranked Drew Dober for me to label him the uncrowned champ. I think he's definitely earned a Top 10 opponent, though. I'd like to see him get booked against someone with a proven ground game. The Oliveira fight excites the hell out of me, but IMO Top 5 and dude currently waiting for a title shot is too big of a jump. Instead Benny Dariush or rebooking the RDA bout sound like solid moves.

I'd consider Dan Hooker or Ferguson distant second choices.

I just want to see him fight more.

Good convincing win, but Dober not a grappler like Oliveria. Tony would be a good test. Looks very similar to Khabib, do not want to let him get a hold of you.

Back