Can crushing bias

elwani

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Recency bias had been a part of a lot of discussions lately, and I think that’s a good thing because the more people are sensitive to biases, the more objective their opinions may be.

But what do you think of another kind of bias? I mean when a fighter is matched against someone clearly inferior and styles on them, even if everyone knows the competition is overmatched, they still cannot help but be overly impressed and come away with a feeling like the fighter is invincible.

Basically Megumi Fujii's career. Went 22-0 with 20 finishes. 14 in the first round. Allmost all no names but the girl was just oozing skill and athleticism.

tumblr_o2ifl0zBZm1ry1rm7o1_500.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

15 years ago she was grappling at a level you don't see in wmma today. Hell, she tapped Carla Esparza 10 years ago at age 36.

Recency bias had been a part of a lot of discussions lately, and I think that’s a good thing because the more people are sensitive to biases, the more objective their opinions may be.

But what do you think of another kind of bias? I mean when a fighter is matched against someone clearly inferior and styles on them, even if everyone knows the competition is overmatched, they still cannot help but be overly impressed and come away with a feeling like the fighter is invincible.
It's pretty much noob/casual bias at this point.

I'd also point out that (stupid) people think that because a fighter won a fight, the other guy was a can who never had a chance, and would lose 10/10 times. . . .

Which is *another* reason I don't like the hyperbolic hype behind guys like Izzy (who I like a lot): yes, he's an amazing and storied striker (before even coming to the UFC)....but then a striker (couch Ngannou, cough cough) KOs a bunch of other (often non-) strikers, and becomes GOAT!.....except that's some casual BS there, because claiming someone's GOAT who hasn't shown any ground game or even been tested in that department is.....lame/noob/weak MMA fan/boxing fan.

.....and surprise surprise, as I was saying since the minute I heard the match-up, Jan used his wrestling (which is pretty mediocre relative to wrestling skill in the UFC) and made Izzy look like a fish out of water. Like Stipe did to Ngannou.

If you want to be GOAT, you got to be well-rounded (like Jones, GSP, A Silva, Fedor, etc) in their primes.

Back