Serra/Longo learnt from their mistakes.

sampuncher

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
So we all know the Yan knee was Illegal AF. No denying it, I understand that he could have been concussed potentially from it but Danas confirmed that wasnt the case.

However anyone remember Weidman/Mousasi and a similar controversy?

From memory, apologies if im wrong but didnt Weidman try and drop a hand to make one of Mousasis knees illegal only for it to backfire when the state the fight was in followed a different ruleset on knees to a downed opponent?

I know a large portion of fans are of the viewpoint that Sterling overreacted to it, he was losing the fight and seemed to be fading, maybe his corner encouraged him to take the DQ win purely to avoid a similar situation to the Weidman one.

Its 10am in the UK, im still awake and sleep deprived so maybe my tinfoil hat is on but it does seem coincidental that the 2 main fighters from that camp were involved in similar situations.

For me it should have been a NC and then immediate rematch, I get why Sterling is champ and when hes saying what he said to the officials, theyre in a position where they have to stop the fight upon hearing it but definitely a lot of overreacting IMO.

<EdgyBrah>

Reactions: MCS
It was a dq because the referee told him specifically not to do it.
Then he did it.
Hilarious people blaming sterling.
Yan is actually taking responsibility for his actions.

Then he did it.

Not blaming Sterling, it was a foul, I wrote that in the first sentence, it doesnt mean he didnt overreact though.

I get why he took the DQ but he could have potentially carried on and continued with a point deduction for Yan, we've seen it happen multiple times before. Sterling was pretty much running on empty just before the knee though.

Then he did it.
Yan doesn’t speak English that well how tf do you expect for him to know the ref’s orders?

Then he did it.

Yan is not a native speaker, what Mark Smith says while hes in the midst of an MMA fight in a foreign language takes time to process.

You are a moron if you believe he intentionally threw the knee knowing what comes with it. There would have been no point. He could have landed worse damage seconds later and not lost his belt, he knew Aljo was fading, he was the one taking Aljo down. He was playing with Aljo, it was arrogant, and that arrogance cost him.

He was damaged from the knee it would have come back and hurt him later if he continued and weirdly enough I agree with him here. His win stands fair imho

It can't be a NC. It was intentional and very blatantly so, given that Sterling was very obviously down and Yan was looking at him the whole time and took several seconds before deciding to do it.

Yan should consider himself lucky that he won't be suspended for it, considering how much head trauma that had the potential to cause. A few years ago, an MMA fighter in Ireland was rushed to the hospital after a fight, where he died a few days later from the effects of head trauma.

He was damaged from the knee it would have come back and hurt him later if he continued and weirdly enough I agree with him here. His win stands fair imho

I agree with it being an illegal knee, the DQ is a repurcussion that comes with it, I get it.

But for me, the refs should have been able to make the call without Aljo flopping like a salmon several times to convince them.

Let's be honest a camp instructing their fighters to milk fouls for an easy way out is weak as hell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back