Where does Adesanya rank amongst the most one-dimensional champs of all time?

TheBulge

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm not even trying to joke about this, I honestly have to go back in time just to remember the last time we saw such a one dimensional champ.

Not counting WMMA even though you could even argue Ronda Rousey's striking is better than Adesanya's grappling.

Could it be Brock Lesnar? I say no, atleast he had this gem:
AHjHcce.gif

AND he outstruck Randy Couture
couture-finish.gif

I think we might have to go back to the 90s, guys. I'm not kidding. That's the level of Adesanya's ground game.

I tried looking back:

Some say Dave Menne 2001 was one of the worst champs but he had both subs and ko's on his record.

Kevin Randleman 1999? I'm really trying here.

Izzy is a phenomenal striker with extremely good defensive wrestling and decent jiu-jitsu.

If you think a 20 pounds heavier black belt controlling him on the ground was some indication that Izzy sucks, you don't know fighting.

Lol Izzy is no scrub on the ground. He gave Kelvin problems when he got taken down in that fight. And his clinch work against the fence was solid.

For the most part he was able to neutralise a bigger dude that hits like a truck. There are weight classes for a reason.

Anyway the most one-dimensional has to be Khabib. Not that he couldn’t strike ok, but that one dimension was so insane.

Too early for these type of knee jerk assessment. Let's see how the rest of his career plays out.

I'm not even trying to joke about this, I honestly have to go back in time just to remember the last time we saw such a one dimensional champ.

Not counting WMMA even though you could even argue Ronda Rousey's striking is better than Adesanya's grappling.

Could it be Brock Lesnar? I say no, atleast he had this gem:
AHjHcce.gif

AND he outstruck Randy Couture
couture-finish.gif

I think we might have to go back to the 90s, guys. I'm not kidding. That's the level of Adesanya's ground game.

Ah c'mon he got pinned down by a 30lb heavier guy who is better on the mat, i mean Izzys ground game is poor but it was always going to be lopsided from that position, like i said yesterday on here that Jones would do the same and people thought it was hysterical saying Izzy can't be taken down.

If we are talking one dimensional guys he is, but so is Khabib who uses his clinch and constant pressure to land shots and refuses to stand in open water unless the opponent is gassed.

Izzy with extremely good defensive wrestling and decent jiu-jitsu.

{<jordan}

A completely gassed out Jan took him down in the 5th with a slow telegraphed double leg with ease.

Adesanya has decent TDD on paper because nobody tries to take him down. They all headhunt him.

"Decent Jiu Jitsu"<JonesLaugh>

He would have been stopped with that GnP very soon if he wasn't saved by the final bell. He had no skills shown off his back.

If you look at his fights with Yoel, Gastelum, Whittaker, Brunson, Anderson and Costa 99% of those fights were on the feet.

Maybe it's because of USADA that a lot of fighters don't have the cardio to wrestle in a 5-rounder. Striking is less tiring. Or his opponents stupidly fight the pro striker standing up and lose.

Whatever the reason the 86% TDD stat of Adesanya is deceiving. He has unproven TDD and grappling. Fans fall for the stat and for the 20-0, thinking he's a complete fighter, when he hasn't shown that. Jan has size, but isn't a wrestler. Losing the fight because he can't get out of half guard is bad grappling.

Meh, with that one dimension hes done pretty damn well. The blueprint for beating him is obvious (wrestling) but nobody at 185 has managed to capitalize on that.

Ah c'mon he got pinned down by a 30lb heavier guy who is better on the mat, i mean Izzys ground game is poor but it was always going to be lopsided from that position, like i said yesterday on here that Jones would do the same and people thought it was hysterical saying Izzy can't be taken down.

If we are talking one dimensional guys he is, but so is Khabib who uses his clinch and constant pressure to land shots and refuses to stand in open water unless the opponent is gassed.

Khabib has a massive TD-threat which enables him to outstrike strikers which he has done so. Even Brock Lesnar is a much more well rounded fighter than Adesanya, lets let that sink in for a while.

So fellas, who is a more one-dimensional champ than Adesanya in the past 3 decades? I bet you can't find one without having to go back to the 90s.

Meh, with that one dimension hes done pretty damn well. The blueprint for beating him is obvious (wrestling) but nobody at 185 has managed to capitalize on that.
As I've said for years, he had the best timing possible. Think of a world where he came into contention when prime versions of Chris and Jacare were at the top of the MW pyramid.

All the power in the world to the guy, I actually think he handled tonight's loss really damn well. But yeah, he had just beautiful timing sliding into a grappler-free MW division.
Khabib has a massive TD-threat which enables him to outstrike strikers which he has done so. Even Brock Lesnar is a much more well rounded fighter than Adesanya, lets let that sink in for a while.

So fellas, who is a more one-dimensional champ than Adesanya in the past 3 decades? I bet you can't find one without having to go back to the 90s.
I think he's either a strong blue/new purple level in terms of his ground game. Obviously the weak point of his game relatively speaking but not bad. Off the top of my head I think Brock was certainly below that level in terms of his striking defense in particular. I know very few striking coaches that would call his striking defense technically a blue belt or higher level.

He has unproven TDD and grappling.

Oh it's proven now. Proven to be utter shit.

Adesanya doesn't just have the record of most one-dimensional champ in modern times but also the luckiest champ ever. Imagine only knowing how to strike in the 2020's mixed martial arts and the only opponents you face are guys who will strike with you<36>

I mean what year is this guys?

Khabib is pretty one dimensional but he’s just reallly really really good at it

Lol the excuses .. they both weighed in at 205 on Saturday hahahah

Did they? More like 200.5 vs 230, Jan said himself the morning of the fight he was around 227lbs

Weight limit is 205 genius

On the friday weigh in you fucking casual before they rehydrate, if this is the case why did jan say he was 227 the morning of the fight?

Back