What adjustments should Yan and Aljo make in the rematch iyo?

Rorschachxx

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
First is obv. to throw legal strikes only.

But that bs aside, these guys fought to the fourth round and there was a healthy dose of everything in there. Clinching, TD's, punches, kicks, legal knees, etc.

Me personally I think Yan is going to start a little faster, he now knows he can deal with Aljo's offensive grappling and he also knows he can take Aljo down himself. I'd imagine he gets the workrate up a little esp. if Aljo's adjusts his pace and doesn't go as fast as the first fight. While Yan landed the more cleaner strikes and imo was on his way to really whoop Aljos ass later on, Sterling did a great job to keep pushing and keep raising the numbers. Yan did some great job with his defense and landed some solid kicks and punches. People seem to think he is nothinh but this boxer but the guy is very versatile in his shot-selection and gives you a lot to think about. If he mixes it up even more, he will catch Sterling with something nice.

Sterling has to know that banking on taking Yan down isn't going to do him any favors. He struggled to get his offensive grappling going and was probably taken by surprise that he had to stand as long as he did. He 100% needs to reevaluate his pace and cardio. He wasn't gassing out hard, but we all saw him slow down considerably and look a little labored in his movement. I think he should invest a lot more in going to the body cause Yan blocks high and keeps a high guard.

Aljo needs to cut his takedown attemps in half, maybe even more than that. Spamming 17 takedown attempts in 16 minutes drained him and was affecting his pace. If he can manage his energy better, he should hopefully be able to keep up the high striking pace that he had in round one. He needs to attack Yan's body and legs more. Yan is there to be hit, it's just a matter of whether or not Aljo can manage his energy in order to maintain the high output style that will give Yan fits.

In the rematch, Yan shouldn't change much unless he's forced to.

Aljo needs to pace him himself he was going too hard in the 1st.

This fight was a major learning experience for him and he will be so much better for it. I think the rematch will be closer and Yan will have to up his output.

Yan should be the favorite but I think Aljo will learn a lot from this

Dunno. Yan was clearly the better man and the better fighter but in rematch who knows. Human mind is fragile and sometimes dynamics just change in matter of time. If theyd rematch next month I'd pick Yan but most likely Sterling makes big changes and looks like a different man in the rematch. If anything Sterling might want to pick his shots to counter Yan more instead of trying to drown him with volume.

Sterling should spend the whole fight on one knee like Rich Franklin suggested to Matt Serra on TUF 4. Maybe that was the plan all along.

clearly he needs to find a new cornermans. other than that i don't see any reason to change anything. Sterling did the best he could and it lasted only for a 1.5 round. i think Yan will be fine in a rematch.

Aljo should stop spinning and giving his backside to his opponent like a cat in heat smdh. And also stop gassing after two rounds lmao

Yan is gonna murder him.

It will be exactly like GSP vs Serra rematch with him fired all up.

Back