What is the Best Fight to Consider Going into Jan/Izzy?

Reign009

Not sure if serious.
Reaction score
If you're thinking of Izzy/Paulo, then you might think that Jan gets wrecked.

If you're thinking of Izzy/Kelvin, then you might think that Jan will catch Izzy.

If you're thinking of Izzy/Yoel, then you might think that it will be a staring contest.

These are just some examples, but what fight out of Izzy and Jan's recent, past fights is most telling going into tonight's match up?

None of the above. I see jan implementing a clinch game and throwing bombs on the break. I could see Jan also turning this fight with leg kicks.

Small chance, but I dont think he gets it done by standing around

Great minds think alike

Lol, it's a good gameplan in theory though, there's NO reason for Jan to play Izzy's game and have a Kickboxing match, make it an MMA fight, use the weight advantage, and force the grappling/clinch, and when Izzy looks to exit throw shots off the break. Izzy might make the read and attempt to counter him, he has good Fight IQ but I don't see why Jan wouldn't try to clinch and grapple tonight.

Lol, it's a good gameplan in theory though, there's NO reason for Jan to play Izzy's game and have a Kickboxing match, make it an MMA fight, use the weight advantage, and force the grappling/clinch, and when Izzy looks to exit throw shots off the break. Izzy might make the read and attempt to counter him, he has good Fight IQ but I don't see why Jan wouldn't try to clinch and grapple tonight.
Dana-White-Money.jpg

Also im really hoping israel relies on his lean back defence and Jan hits him in the body. I dont think that body could handle LHW body shots.

Good starting point is Romero/Izzy.

I don't expect Jan to blitz Izzy.

I think Izzy will try to throw leg kicks, Jan will throw body kicks. Both will try a high kick or two.

In the boxing I see both looking to counter and/or look for an opening, but Izzy will be the busier of the two with his jabs. Neither will be looking to get into a slug fest. It will be interesting to see if Jan respects Izzy's power. I suspect he will and will not look to throw recklessly.

I don't see grappling being a huge factor except in the clinch. Izzy as usual will be hard to take down. Jan's offensive wrestling isn't great.

A fairly tactical fight. Unless one makes a huge mistake I see it going into later rounds.

Izzy vs Brunson. was the last time he fought someone that was 6'1+ with a 195+cm reach (except for Silva who was in his 40s so...)

a points victory. which is probably what will happen tonight

If Jan was smart he'd do the GSP vs Penn 2 strategy of forcing the standup grappling against the cage to tire out Penn's so that he could eventually take over standing (while mixing in lots of takedowns/gnp).

I'm not sure if Jan has the skills to close the distance without getting countered though.

Of the ones you posted I could see the fight playing out like izzy vs yoel (a staring contest with izzy too scared to completely commit and jan too scared to over commit).

None of the above. I see jan implementing a clinch game and throwing bombs on the break. I could see Jan also turning this fight with leg kicks.

Small chance, but I dont think he gets it done by standing around
If Jan was smart he'd do the GSP vs Penn 2 strategy of forcing the standup grappling against the cage to tire out Penn's so that he could eventually take over standing (while mixing in lots of takedowns/gnp).

I'm not sure if Jan has the skills to close the distance without getting countered though.

Of the ones you posted I could see the fight playing out like izzy vs yoel (a staring contest with izzy too scared to completely commit and jan too scared to over commit).

Just to be clear, the ones I posted were just examples to show how differently this match up could be perceived.

You can pick from any of either Jan or Izzy's fights really but if you go back too far, it may have a weaker indication of how tonight's fight goes.

Izzy Vs Yoel imo

Izzy is going to try and play it safe to avoid the power, but Jan is gonna push the pace instead of waiting back like Yoel did

Jan vs Santos

Jan loses the kicking battle, gets frustrated, and runs in with one of his retarded looking blitzes.

Also don't think he'll have much success grappling Izzy despite the weight difference

Jan vs Jacare was just as boring as Yoel vs Izzy
Ah can't believe I forgot about that one, I actually saw it lol (though I guess that's indicative of the quality of the fight). To be fair, that was clinch heavy and I was thinking more along the lines of whether Jan has ever had a striker standoff like Lewis v. Ngannou.

Back