How many rounds did Cruz win against Garbrandt?

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/7616/Cody-Garbrandt-vs-Dominick-Cruz

I have to say this is one of the most unusual scorecards ever. I don't know a single person who scored the fight for Dominick Cruz.

And yet, Cruz won 3 rounds on the majority of the official scorecards.

Round 1: 2-1 Cruz
Round 2: 2-1 Cruz
Round 3: 3-0 Garbrandt (with two 10-8s)
Round 4: 3-0 Garbrandt
Round 5: 2-1 Cruz

Notwithstanding that Cruz won the majority of rounds on a round by round basis, he lost the fight on all three scorecards.

Garbrand won 2 rounds super clear, while Cruz won the close rounds. It wasnt lobsided, but Cody defenitely was the better man that night.

I remember some round being close and being able to go either way, but Cody's rounds were really dominant, so overall the impression of the fight was of a dominant one for Cody despite some close rounds. Getting robot danced on = automatic 10-7.

Last edited:
Rounds 1 and 2 were super close, and they could be scored either way without too much controversy. Round 5 was for Cruz. 3 and 4 were clearly for Garbrandt though, since he got knockdowns.

So yeah, it's entirely possible to score anything from 1 to 3 rounds for Cruz. Personally, I scored it 3-2 Garbrandt on my first watch but watching it back a few months ago, I could easily see people scoring it 3-2 Cruz, however, Garbrandt had at a 10-8 round in there. At best for Cruz, you could actually score the fight a draw, which seems kinda insane considering that Cody's rounds were more clear than the ones Cruz won. Just goes to show that judging needs some reforms. I'd like to see more scale in judging. 10-9 should only be for super close rounds such as rounds 1 and 2 of this fight. Whereas if a fighter definitely won a round, it should be 10-8. Basically, I think that our current 10-9s should be 10-8s, and that should scale all the way down. Then we can make room to score super close rounds as 10-9. That way, this fight and others would be way easier to score.

Lol that would have been the worst robbery in MMA history if Cruz won. Stfu
If he won, yes. But it could have been a draw, even though that seems crazy to think. There is an argument to be made that Cruz did win 3 rounds. The first 2 rounds were so close that they could have reasonably gone to either guy. And Cruz definitely won the 5th. It's just that 3 and 4 were super more dominant wins by Cody.

I think it's clear that Cody was the better man that night, but under the way the current judging works, it's not unlikely that the fight could have been scored as a draw.

If he won, yes. But it could have been a draw, even though that seems crazy to think. There is an argument to be made that Cruz did win 3 rounds. The first 2 rounds were so close that they could have reasonably gone to either guy. And Cruz definitely won the 5th. It's just that 3 and 4 were super more dominant wins by Cody.

I think it's clear that Cody was the better man that night, but under the way the current judging works, it's not unlikely that the fight could have been scored as a draw.

Current judging gives 10-8s even easier. Not under any MMA or combat rule set in history does Cruz win or even draw. Cruz fans were cancer

Cruz landed absolutely nothing of worth, as usual.

He won round 5, and had a strong argument for winning round 2

i remember it being a one sided domination. mocking his movement, being one step ahead.

I felt like it was a clean sweep for Cody 50-45. There was some close rounds, but at no point did I think Cruz was winning or had a shot. It’s been a while since I watched it though.

Back