Media The Costa brothers don't care if you don't buy their wine excuse

Peli

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
On Wednesday, Costa’s older brother and head coach, Carlos Borracha, confirmed that information in an interview with Sherdog.

“He arrived in Abu Dhabi weighing 211 lbs., and because of that, we needed to train a lot in the [days before] the fight. Due to that, after the weigh ins, he felt a lot of cramps that prevented him [from sleeping]. It was 2:30 [a.m.] when he decided to drink wine to try to sleep until 5 a.m., when he had to wake up and go to the event. Of course, if I was with him in the room, I wouldn't allow him. But in this event, for the first time, he took his girlfriend, and I stayed in the next room with [boxing coach] Badola.”

Carlos recalls that he just noticed that something was wrong when he knocked on his brother’s door to go to the event at 5 AM. Costa’s girlfriend, Tamara, told Borracha what happened.

“She opened the door and immediately told me [Costa] couldn’t sleep. But until that moment, I didn’t know that he drank a bottle of wine. He just told me so when he asked me to throw water and slap his face, something he never did before. When the fight started, it was clear to me that his reflexes were affected. I have no doubt that in normal conditions that fight would be different,” guaranteed Borracha.

Borracha was well aware that his brother’s version is considered by media and fans as one of the biggest excuses in MMA history.

“‘Borrachinha’ really [doesn’t] care about that, he just brought to the public a mistake he had committed. And of course, it changed totally our training routine.”

When asked about Adesanya’s double belt attempt on Saturday, facing light heavyweight champion Jan Blachowicz, Borracha had no doubt to point to the Nigerian as the heavy favorite.
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/P...-Controversy-Picks-Adesanya-at-UFC-259-178032

Last edited:
His girlfriend was there? Should’ve thrown in that he lost his legs as well.

After all the talk of his scientific training, it sounds like a complete shit show.

Cue Yakey Yak background music.

On Wednesday, Costa’s older brother and head coach, Carlos Borracha, confirmed that information in an interview with Sherdog.

“He arrived in Abu Dhabi weighing 211 lbs., and because of that, we needed to train a lot in the [days before] the fight. Due to that, after the weigh ins, he felt a lot of cramps that prevented him [from sleeping]. It was 2:30 [a.m.] when he decided to drink wine to try to sleep until 5 a.m., when he had to wake up and go to the event. Of course, if I was with him in the room, I wouldn't allow him. But in this event, for the first time, he took his girlfriend, and I stayed in the next room with [boxing coach] Badola.”

Carlos recalls that he just noticed that something was wrong when he knocked on his brother’s door to go to the event at 5 AM. Costa’s girlfriend, Tamara, told Borracha what happened.

“She opened the door and immediately told me [Costa] couldn’t sleep. But until that moment, I didn’t know that he drank a bottle of wine. He just told me so when he asked me to throw water and slap his face, something he never did before. When the fight started, it was clear to me that his reflexes were affected. I have no doubt that in normal conditions that fight would be different,” guaranteed Borracha.

Borracha was well aware that his brother’s version is considered by media and fans as one of the biggest excuses in MMA history.

“‘Borrachinha’ really [doesn’t] care about that, he just brought to the public a mistake he had committed. And of course, it changed totally our training routine.”

When asked about Adesanya’s double belt attempt on Saturday, facing light heavyweight champion Jan Blachowicz, Borracha had no doubt to point to the Nigerian as the heavy favorite.
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/P...-Controversy-Picks-Adesanya-at-UFC-259-178032

Who?

Paulos brother should not be head coach to begin with. Hes a Jujitsu guy and he gives me Irish Edmond vibes. I think Costa would be a far better fighter if he left his comfort zone(he still trains by his house at his brothers gym. Hes a mommas boy too lol)

Paulo should take this more serious and go to someone legit like Hooft, Mendez or even Wittman would be good

Stupid has fudge thing to do and/or it is the most BS excuse.
My question is...you have to get ready to fight, your biggest fight ever, in 2.5 hours and you are worried about getting a couple of hours sleep when you would be much better off to not go to sleep.
Also, more the reason to keep the fights in the USA where most of the fighters train.

After all the talk of his scientific training, it sounds like a complete shit show.

Cue Yakey Yak background music.

Where’s our man who makes the funny animated videos? We need that hero to do a video of Paulo trying to sleep, getting drunk, and then getting his ass whupped, all set to that Benny Hill music.

Imagine coming into the biggest fight of your life hungover or drunk.

He should be cut from the UFC just for taking that spot and blowing it.

still wish paulo would clarify what contract izzy needs to sign for the rematch

I've been drunk for several important events, but this sounds dumb even to me. He sounds like a functioning alcoholic, so at least his life is probably funny.

Back