Will Izzy coming in light impact the grappling exchanges?

Martialarts123

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
My theory is that Jan will look to grapple in this match. He has fantastic submission wrestling. He submitted both Devin Clark and Nikita Krylov (which was a fair stunner at the time and that's when we were like OK JAN IS A CONTENDER). In all fairness, he dictated a lot of the clinch exchanges against Rockhold and Jacare, too. With Izzy coming in light, it may not be a far-fetched idea to think that Jan will rely a lot on those early strength exchanges in the grappling to impose his will. I expect him to be cautious with the striking, only opening up after asserting respect with his physicality in the clinch. What do you guys think? Would this be a potential route for Jan?

Izzy probably can't bulk up on his thin frame. Not to mention the impact to his speed and stamina the extra weight could create. Jan would be smart to use the size advantage but that means getting in close where Izzy could clip him.

He has to come in light if he wants to keep the MW strap.

Same issue here that Holloway had when he moved up to fight Dustin. Mind you that fight was short notice.

If you do what Jones said he is doing which is packing on muscle, it becomes infinitely harder to get back down a weight class.

If Israel's power doesn't translate well to 205, he is going to be in a lot of trouble. Jan is massive

This will be Jan during faceoff, except he means it literally when it comes to grappling
giphy.gif

izzy has decent ground defence. go watch him play around with atos. the biggest factor will be jans size or izzys speed.

how many times vettori took adesanya down ?
imagine what a bigger dude like Jan will do to him
He just have to mix it up don't just stand and kickbox with the guy

The grappling should heavily favor Jan in both power and technique.

Does anyone know if this is going to be in the small cage?

I'm taking Jan wherever I can betting wise.

Figuring Jan walks around at around 220-225, he'll be up to around 210-212 come the fight....that's a 25-30 pound size difference. It may be OK for a big framed heavyweight to overcome that big of a weight difference but not when you're a lanky 185'er

You could interchange Jans name for Paulo and these threads would look similar to those when Izzy vs Paulo was happening.

“Jan is massive”
“Too strong for Izzy”
“ will manhandle him and over power him”
“Izzy can’t knock him out “
“Izzy gonna get destroyed”

All that’s missing is a few “skinny clown” insults.

All Jan has is a punchers chance. There is too much of a skill gap between the two. Jan is a nice lovable dude but he’s a placeholder and it’s up to him to decide how he loses this fight. He tries to be technical and it’s a 5 round massacre. He tries to rush and maul Izzy, he eventually goes to sleep.

Jan is in control of how he loses this fight.

Izzy beat romero, which ends any argument you have for jan.
And new.

The weight won't make any difference. I'd like for Jan to win but most likely he won't. Jan will try to kickbox the entire fight and will lose a decision or be stopped.

If Jan were to use all of his skils and weight then he could win.

You could interchange Jans name for Paulo and these threads would look similar to those when Izzy vs Paulo was happening.

“Jan is massive”
“Too strong for Izzy”

All Jan has is a punchers chance. There is too much of a skill gap between the two. Jan is a nice lovable dude but he’s a placeholder and it’s up to him to decide how he loses this fight. He tries to be technical and it’s a 5 round massacre. He tries to rush and maul Izzy, he eventually goes to sleep.

Spot on.

“Jan is massive”
“Too strong for Izzy”

There are two key differences between Jan and Costa. Costa has never knocked anyone out with a single strike like Jan, rather he swarms and pressures, which does not work against a guy with high level footwork. He also gave up liken8 inches of reach, Jan gives up 2.

Not saying Jan is a lock, not even saying I'll bet on him. I think it's 60/40 Izzy but what's cool about this fight is how close it is. Jan's weaknesses are Izzy's strengths and vice versa.

Jan is the master of the flying armbar.

There are two key differences between Jan and Costa. Costa has never knocked anyone out with a single strike like Jan, rather he swarms and pressures, which does not work against a guy with high level footwork. He also gave up liken8 inches of reach, Jan gives up 2.

Not saying Jan is a lock, not even saying I'll bet on him. I think it's 60/40 Izzy but what's cool about this fight is how close it is. Jan's weaknesses are Izzy's strengths and vice versa.

I’m always hoping for a close fight. I’m an Izzy guy. Think he’s just a special fighter and got the upmost respect for how active he’s remained and the willingness to challenge everyone. That being said, I still always hope for a close fight no matter who’s involved.

I just don’t see it happening.

Paulo could barely touch Izzy and the speed difference was evident through out. Now you’re throwing another fighter who’s even slower then Paulo in there against Izzy? This has all the makings of a one sided beating.

Back