Media Aljamain Sterling : 'Khabib's a big inspiration to my style"

Peli

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

"Oh yeah, I look up to Khabib," he said. "Khabib’s a big inspiration to my style and helping me understand that, yeah, a fight can be on the feet, but when you’re good at something, stick to what you’re good at.

"I look at Khabib, and that style is relentless pressure, it’s really hard to stop a guy like that. Wrestling is a grinding mentality. If you don’t know how to deal with that grind, it can wear on you, it’s uncomfortable and it keeps you guessing and it dictates the pace of the fight and the tempo.

"If he’s not putting you away, eventually you’re going to grab that guy down. Especially if you’re a good grappler, like Khabib or myself. I pride myself on that."

"I’m not looking to get any style points," he explained. "I corner him, he throws something, leaves himself open, allows me to get inside for an attack, I drag him down, he defends it, that’s fine, drag him down again, get on his back and end the fight."

https://www.rt.com/sport/516825-ufc259-aljamain-sterling-petr-yan-khabib/

The RT interviewer is a little awkward, but whatever.

Last edited:
"If you're good at something, stick to what you're good at."

But is he good enough? Because you can go in there predictable, thinking you're going to Khabib someone, but instead end up getting Frankied/Curtised.

I guess we'll find out.

But is he good enough? Because you can go in there predictable, thinking you're going to Khabib someone, but instead end up getting Frankied/Curtised.

I guess we'll find out.
I'm so torn on this fight. I honestly don't know who is going to win. I want to lean Yan because I don't think he has stamina to wrestle that Khabib/colby pace for five rounds. But then again, I don't know how good is Yan's wrestling defense. lol.

I'm so torn on this fight. I honestly don't know who is going to win. I want to lean Yan because I don't think he has stamina to wrestle that Khabib/colby pace for five rounds. But then again, I don't know how good is Yan's wrestling defense. lol.

It's a very interesting fight. I can't wait.

"Khabib's a big inspiration to my style and helping me understand that..When you're good at something, stick to what you're good at."

The RT interviewer is a little awkward, but whatever.

i like aljo but every time he ramps up the talk it bites him. i hope its just talk.

sterling has to shoot but i dont this its such a wash on the feet. yes yan is gonna hit harder but sterlings volume and length are being slept on imo. i see a UD that people are mad about. yan lands harder, aljo lands more with more control time

I guess we'll find out.

Frankie didn't try to wrestle though. He should have from the opening bell, but old frankie made a mistake and got pulled into a trap

Just try not to get Marlon'd again,Aljo.This was scary

20171209090042_vlcsnap00002.PNG

sterling has to shoot but i dont this its such a wash on the feet. yes yan is gonna hit harder but sterlings volume and length are being slept on imo.
Frankie didn't try to wrestle though. He should have from the opening bell, but old frankie made a mistake and got pulled into a trap

he tried to close him off, he was just a bit slow and telegraphed for someone like cory. watch how aljo cuts cory off, almost the same with feints, just way faster, more intense.

Last edited:
i like aljo but every time he ramps up the talk it bites him. i hope its just talk.

sterling has to shoot but i dont this its such a wash on the feet. yes yan is gonna hit harder but sterlings volume and length are being slept on imo. i see a UD that people are mad about. yan lands harder, aljo lands more with more control time
We never know. I was talking shit about dustin looking mentally rattled and he beat conor, that came back to bite me in the ass.

He's grappled with a few caucasian mma fithers, so maybe he's feeling confident he can handle Yan if he can stay in there with tiger magomedov

We never know. I was talking shit about dustin looking mentally rattled and he beat conor, that came back to bite me in the ass.

He's grappled with a few caucasian mma fithers, so maybe he's feeling confident he can handle Yan if he can stay in there with tiger magomedov
you can never be 100% about prefigh interviews/weigh ins. it can sway you to not bet but try not to use it to bet. so many fighters "lose"the stair down then get owned.

if you are into the prefight talk listen carefully, sometimes the truth comes out. my neighbor was gonna bet on reyes over jan. but i heard dom on ariels show talking about how he wished he had a couple more weeks to get into shape. now im not gonna use that to bet against him, but to not bet on someone oh yeah

measure the skills, then the variables. i picked dc over stipe because when i looked at the skills stipe had better striking but not by much, and dc had better wrestling but not enough. the only variables was dcs athleticism(pro)/age(con). by this point dc didnt show signs of slowing down so i chose the variable athleticism.. dc got a KO that fight. but the variables come after the skills usually. now he was bested after, but even if you are wrong always go with skills first before you judge demeanor/variables. unless its a crazy injury/layoff

Last edited:

I'm not sure. I feel like he was at the beginning of changing levels when he got timed.

It's just that with Cory's height for 135, he didn't need Frankie to duck in very much to catch him.

sterling has to shoot but i dont this its such a wash on the feet. yes yan is gonna hit harder but sterlings volume and length are being slept on imo.

he tried to close him off, he was just a bit slow and telegraphed for someone like cory. watch how aljo cuts him off, almost the same with feints, just way faster, more intense.

He should have shot when he had cory covering up against the fence, but he let him off the hook. That was the beginning of the end and i knew it while watching live. The opening was there, but frankie didn't take it.

I'm not sure. I feel like he was at the beginning of changing levels when he got timed.

It's just that with Cory's height for 135, he didn't need Frankie to duck in very much to catch him.

Frankie always ducks a bit as he tries to punch his way into the pocket. If he was shooting from that far out, then that was stupid.

Either way your original point stands.

He should have shot when he had cory covering up against the fence, but he let him off the hook. That was the beginning of the end and i knew it while watching live. The opening was there, but frankie didn't take it.
sometimes you just know. when costa walked out and stood in the center i said out loud "its over". now i was backin isreal but that gameplan was poor. almost the worst iv seen in a title fight.(i love rashad but him not wrestling machida takes the cake for all time title fight blunders)

Back