Best Career Comebacks

Tairy Hesticles

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I apologize if this thread has been made before. If it has, feel free to call me a casual or whatever.

In light of the Khamzat retirement and instant speculation about a future comeback, I was curious to get Sherbro takes on the best career comebacks ever. Retirements, injuries, or even just fighters that seemed to be totally done and came back after a couple years.

I think the obvious one is Mir. Breaks Silvia's arm in under a minute to become champ, motorcycle injury, gets a rod in his leg, goes 1-2 in his first 3 comeback fights, and eventually kneebars Lesnar and KO's Nog.

Where would a Khamzat return rank in your opinion?

A Khamzat return wouldn't be that impressive for me as Mir's motorbike was a freak accident, Khamzat has got sick the same way like 30+ other guys on the roster have also suffered from the same illness. An illness eventually most people will recover from considering they're reasonably healthy.

The correct answer is....

hi-res-6ca4a8dbb0f0cbcc5b8d9cc58b625bbf_crop_north.jpg

I apologize if this thread has been made before. If it has, feel free to call me a casual or whatever.

In light of the Khamzat retirement and instant speculation about a future comeback, I was curious to get Sherbro takes on the best career comebacks ever. Retirements, injuries, or even just fighters that seemed to be totally done and came back after a couple years.

I think the obvious one is Mir. Breaks Silvia's arm in under a minute to become champ, motorcycle injury, gets a rod in his leg, goes 1-2 in his first 3 comeback fights, and eventually kneebars Lesnar and KO's Nog.

He has Covid. It's possible he could die so first we have to see that he lives, then if he returns to full health and finally if he wants to fight again. Dana says he didn't retire so it's very confusing.

vicente luque
he was 7_5 after his first fight in ufc
now he is 19_7 top ten in welterweigh weight division

Anderson Silva.

After getting subbed by flying shit in pride, leaving Chutboxe and not being able to find the right weight class. He went to uk became champion came to ufc and cleared out the division (easier completion or not), going on one of the best ufc runs ever!

He has Covid. It's possible he could die so first we have to see that he lives, then if he returns to full health and finally if he wants to fight again. Dana says he didn't retire so it's very confusing.

He's definitely not going to die from it now, he doesn't have COVID currently I think it's the aftermath of it that's affected him by the sound of things.

Robbie Lawler had a great career resurgence. I remember watching him lose in Strikeforce.

He's definitely not going to die from it now, he doesn't have COVID currently I think it's the aftermath of it that's affected him by the sound of things.
Yeah he's not gonna "die" and sounds like he went full on training mode right after a respiratory illness. When the flu still existed in the past you would see people at the gyms do this all the time. They would just barely get over it and then go 1000 percent and end up regretting it. But he's a fighter so he's got that fighters mentality.

Last edited:

Arlovski as well had a great resurgence.

Mark Hunt too.

Randy Couture’s comeback at LHW was impressive when he spanked Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz.

Mir, RDA, Lawler and Oliveira are all good examples of fighters who had a great 2nd run late in their careers.

Stipe getting revenge on DC.

He got cheated out of the title by KO, had to wait a long time for a rematch and came in with ring rust.

Was having a hard time for 3 rounds and finally found a homerun on that fat belly.

D7270E61-1422-0E8C-9AADF142E151FF88.jpg

It may not have been long lasting, but to take the belt from prime GSP was quite the achievement.
Not to mention he won TUF "the comeback" for the opportunity.

Mir, Couture, Vitor, Serra are all good answers.

But Lawler is the best answer.

Last edited:
Back