Why hasn't jon jones improved his boxing?

Peli

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
This is not to bash jon jones but a serious question. We have all these wrestlers that have come into mma without a striking base that have come and do well.

While some don't have a complete striking game, they have enough, Woodley, Chandler, gaethje, Usman, DC, cejudo and so many others.

It seems like jon despite being more seasoned has no hands. Is it a coach thing? Is it just something he's never going to be good at? Maybe someone who train striking, can you share ?

It's be cool to see jon piece someone up with combinations.

It's mostly JacksonWink being a shit camp, and Jon lacking natural fluidity and power with his hands

Some people just don't have what it takes to be a great striker; Maia has decent technique but is slow as molasses and gasses after throwing 10 punches.

It's mostly JacksonWink being a shit camp, and Jon lacking natural fluidity and power with his hands

Some people just don't have what it takes to be a great striker; Maia has decent technique but is slow as molasses and gasses after throwing 10 punches.
Jon jones with a stiff jab would wreck a lot of people. Especially with that reach.

Why would you need a good jab when your oblique kick is your jab?

This sum it up pretty much.
His legs do most of the things his hands could do
Doesn't seem to be as effective now that he's exiting his prime. In his prime that teep kick whipped fast. I watched some of his old fights and couldn't believe how fast he got off those kicks. Almost forgot.

Last edited:
Jon jones with a stiff jab would wreck a lot of people. Especially with that reach.

Ppl with super long reaches dont tend to have the best jobs. Even in boxing the Lennox and Hearns are outliers

as for the thread Jackson/Wink fighters arent fundamentally sound. They really on creativity, output and unpredictability mostly.

No one on their roster really has gureat boxing. Even Holms success standing in MMA has been in the clinch, wrestling and her kicking.

He has always avoided boxing range. It's either kicking range or clinch/wrestling. It's always worked for him, plus he doesn't have natural power. Boxing just isn't his game.

I don't like the guy, but his striking is good enough that he hasn't lost.

This is just nitpicking. Few hate Jones more than I do, but his striking is brilliant.
Would I like it better if he cut range and threw monster hooks? Yes, but he understands range like no other.

This is just nitpicking. Few hate Jones more than I do, but his striking is brilliant.
Would I like it better if he cut range and threw monster hooks? Yes, but he understands range like no other.

His striking was brilliant. Years back Jon was creative, dynamic and versatile with his strikes. Nowadays there’s been a noticeable drop off in that. He also fights extremely cautiously now.

I think we can all assume why the drop off has happened...but Jon isn’t that same dynamic creative striker he once was.

LHW. He could avoid boxing because his reach was so big, that other guys punching range was his clinching range, and he had the best clinch takedowns in the sport + hellbows. He obviously had problems with that against guy with similar heights like Gus and Reyes. That's not going to work at HW where other guys have the same reach + major power and he won't be able to just eat 1 or 2 shots to out of boxing range to get into the clinch.

As much as I like that smooth criminal, lacking in punching power will expose him, badly.
I know, captain obvious in the making<{silvanormal}>

He has improved it, but not a ton. The excuses being made in this thread are funny, as if boxing is unimportant. The guy has a huge reach advantage over EVERYONE, if his boxing could take advantage of this, if he could become a great sniper, then he would be the untouchable GOAT and never have a hard fight at LHW at least.

The fact of the matter is, not everyone can be great at everything. Jake Shields was never going to be comfortable striking, and Jon Jones can never become an elite boxer just like how he couldn't become an elite American football player like his brothers.

Because this is MMA and he has so many other tools. He's not a power puncher, there are other more damaging weapons in his arsenal so it's not a surprise that he isn't trying to be a boxer.

Back