Media Exclusive: Khabib Nurmagomedov's first interview since his retirement - Esquire Mag

Jackonfire

BMF Mod
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
khabib-nurmagomedov-esquire-middle-east-banner.jpg

It’s 1.54pm on a January afternoon in Dubai Media City, and a black Mercedes G-wagon with tinted windows pulls up outside ITP Media Group. It sits there motionless for exactly five minutes before the doors open and Khabib Nurmagomedov, flanked by three of his entourage, climb out. As they walk into the building someone makes a lighthearted comment about how precisely punctual he is, to which Khabib looks down at his watch—a limited-edition collaboration known as ‘The Eagle’ he created with luxury watchmaker Jacob&Co—turns and says with a completely deadpan expression “it is important to be on time. It is important to be professional.”

On set Khabib is clearly the leader of the pack. While unspoken, you get the impression that those around him look to him for guidance and direction. There is no manager playing good or bad cop on his behalf. He talks, he listens and operates with a respect and professionalism that, while laced with an element of no-nonsense, isn’t as intimidating as you would expect the ruthless UFC fighter to be. It’s clear that he has long-since settled into the role as a leader and, post-retirement, it is something that he is trying to embrace, wishing to further impart his wisdom on those near to him.

“Every day I woke up in the morning and started training, and in the evening my body was exhausted, because I had brought it to the limit. I just want to live a life in which I can get at least a little sleep before lunchtime, to live for myself and not devote myself 100 percent to sports.” That does stem the clamour for his return. UFC President Dana White, an abrasive yet alluring figure at the head of the organisation knows the monetary value of a return—and refuses to let go of one of his most treasured assets. Even in retirement his name is always on the tip of everyone’s tongue. Yet Khabib himself can’t conclusively end speculation: “I think only time will answer this question. We will see,” he says.

https://www.esquireme.com/content/5...ew-since-retirement-muslim-faither-UFC-future

khabib-nurmagomedov-esquire-middle-east-banner.jpg

It’s 1.54pm on a January afternoon in Dubai Media City, and a black Mercedes G-wagon with tinted windows pulls up outside ITP Media Group. It sits there motionless for exactly five minutes before the doors open and Khabib Nurmagomedov, flanked by three of his entourage, climb out. As they walk into the building someone makes a lighthearted comment about how precisely punctual he is, to which Khabib looks down at his watch—a limited-edition collaboration known as ‘The Eagle’ he created with luxury watchmaker Jacob&Co—turns and says with a completely deadpan expression “it is important to be on time. It is important to be professional.”

On set Khabib is clearly the leader of the pack. While unspoken, you get the impression that those around him look to him for guidance and direction. There is no manager playing good or bad cop on his behalf. He talks, he listens and operates with a respect and professionalism that, while laced with an element of no-nonsense, isn’t as intimidating as you would expect the ruthless UFC fighter to be. It’s clear that he has long-since settled into the role as a leader and, post-retirement, it is something that he is trying to embrace, wishing to further impart his wisdom on those near to him.

“Every day I woke up in the morning and started training, and in the evening my body was exhausted, because I had brought it to the limit. I just want to live a life in which I can get at least a little sleep before lunchtime, to live for myself and not devote myself 100 percent to sports.” That does stem the clamour for his return. UFC President Dana White, an abrasive yet alluring figure at the head of the organisation knows the monetary value of a return—and refuses to let go of one of his most treasured assets. Even in retirement his name is always on the tip of everyone’s tongue. Yet Khabib himself can’t conclusively end speculation: “I think only time will answer this question. We will see,” he says.

https://www.esquireme.com/content/5...ew-since-retirement-muslim-faither-UFC-future
he looks like he's auditioning for the role of James Bond.

Back