Do you ever bet cash against your favourite fighters?

hbombfromhell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I once bet against my boy Khabib because of the ridiculous set of circumstances involving Tony tripping over a wire, and the UFC trying to find several different opponents and they landed on Ianquinta who was a massive underdog. I figured the late replacement, and Iaquinta's style could pose problems though I fully expected Khabib to win. Funny enough that was one of Khabib's toughest MMA fights, which isn't saying much because he won 50-43 on the scorecards are something like that.

If the odds are favorable, definitely. I'm still a Conor fan, but I bet on Dustin in the rematch cause he had no business being a +250 dog in a fight he was pretty much guaranteed to win if he made it out of the first 1.5 rounds.

When I bet I generally bet against my favourite because it's a win - win. Either my fav fighter wins or I get some cash.

I'm a swede so I bet against Gus multiple times
Yup, same here.
Just bet on Adesanya and before I bet on Reyes. Jan winning was a huge win for me regardless of Reyes losing and thus me losing money.
It does feel a little bad to not bet on your fighter, especially if they are your countrymen, it's like you have no faith in them, but hey, MMA is too unpredictable and win-win situations are rare so... ;)
If Jan wins, fantastic, if Izzy wins, at least I get some cash out of it.

I once bet against my boy Khabib because of the ridiculous set of circumstances involving Tony tripping over a wire, and the UFC trying to find several different opponents and they landed on Ianquinta who was a massive underdog. I figured the late replacement, and Iaquinta's style could pose problems though I fully expected Khabib to win. Funny enough that was one of Khabib's toughest MMA fights, which isn't saying much because he won 50-43 on the scorecards are something like that.
I don't gamble, so no

Only against Overeem. If he wins, money well spent. If he loses at least I got something out of it.

Frankie Edgar is my favorite fighter and I bet on Sandhagen beating him. Support your favorites but be honest with yourself and don’t be blinded by favoritism.

I'm a bad sample, because I rarely bet, and when I do it's on a fighter I personally really like, or have followed for a long time, i.e., just for fun. That being said, I wouldn't hold your Ragin Al bet against you. That could have been a crazy pay-off.

Betting against your favorite fighter is actually a brilliant idea. If they lose, atleast you can dry your tears with the money.

If I say I never bet on a fight, does that make me a casual or does it put me back in the broke category again?

Nah, I'd rather not place a bet than bet against a fighter I'm truly a fan of, no matter how big the chances are. Just feels really bad to bet against your homies.

Never. I do take advantage of betting against fighters that I like or think are bad motherfuckers, who, because I'm "fans" of them, I've watched their fights with a keener eye and know their game really well, thus, I know their weaknesses.

For instance, I recently won a good bit of dough betting against Nate Landwehr. I like Nate. Lots of fun. Gives of big time white trash vibes which I love. But I had a very good feeling Rosa would beat him.

I really like Matt Brown. Old Dog. Bad MF'er. But I just felt like he was due for a KO, and I thought Baeza good enough to do it. Big time cash on that KO.

Now, did I have a very good feeling Conor was gonna beat Cowboy? Yeah. And Gaethje? Yep. But I would never bet against my guy. I felt very strongly that Bobby Knucks would beat Till. Cejudo would beat Dom. But no, I would never bet against them.

Never bet against a fighter that I want to win, bc I'm a fan first. Plus with a UFC card there are about 10 fights or more to choose from. If I want action on a fighter I like but I worry he'll lose then I opt for a prop bet. I wanted Conor to beat Dustin, but I was worried so I placed a "fight ends by KO/TKO" prop. I don't do the bet against a fighter I like and if he wins I'm happy thing, bc I don't like losing money so I'd still be unhappy. I blend being a fan and gambler without interference from one to another.

Sometimes I miss out good bets bc I believe my fighter will lose, but I don't want to give up the chance to cheer for them every second of the fight in hopes they pull it off. No biggie though, there's an abundance of fights to choose from and prop bets

I usually bet against the guy I'm rooting for, for reasons some of you have already stated.

The only exceptions was when I bet on Stipe for Ngannou. I was screaming and cheering and everyone said I was racist. It was awesome.

If someone is a huge underdog, I usually put a little bit on them if I believe there is a respectable chance for them. Sometimes the odds are really dumb.

Your favorite fighters provide you entertainment, but besides that they really don't do much for you.

If you have the chance to make money off one of them, by betting against them, take it lol.

That being said, it is mostly dependent on how much you prefer to bet, and the circumstances of the bet.

I generally will only bet against a fighter I like if the odds are just too juicy.

Bet cash against Anderson Silva against weidman both times because I wanted him to win, or I'll win some money to watch him lose. Those are my favorite bets, the thing is it has to be a fighter I would want to win more than losing a few hundred dollars.

Betting against your favorite fighter is actually a brilliant idea. If they lose, atleast you can dry your tears with the money.
Well- this is the general theory behind topic. I get it- I have friends who are crazy " steeler " or " kc" fans in NFL and when playoffs start , they have that win- win mode in place..... and theyd rather lose the modest bet they made than seeing their team lose.

Back