"Shertard" got robbed

That was good refereeing. That fence grab prevented a takedown.
A point though? We've seen worse in past fights. Would have been better to reset the fight awarding Montana top position. Even that seems generous.

I wish the refs would take this same approach with the eye pokes TBH...
<JonesLaugh>
I'm not sure about that one. An eye poke or nut shot doesn't have to be on purpose. Grabbing the cage is always on purpose.

I'm not sure about that one. An eye poke or nut shot doesn't have to be on purpose. Grabbing the cage is always on purpose.
I agree to the extent of whether or not the offender has a history of using eye pokes as a tool for keeping distance

I agree to the extent of whether or not the offender has a history of using eye pokes as a tool for keeping distance
I don't know, I'm not sure if you want to take into account in a fight whatever a fighter did in previous fights. The UFC should change their gloves, in 10 years of Pride there were maybe 5 eye pokes in total.

It's against the rules so technically do they even have to give warnings? And if it stopped a takedown then it sounds warranted. I didn't really watch the fight though so I'm not 100% sure how impactful the grab was.

I don't know, I'm not sure if you want to take into account in a fight whatever a fighter did in previous fights. The UFC should change their gloves, in 10 years of Pride there were maybe 5 eye pokes in total.
100% in agreement with this, I don’t understand why Dana is so openly against redesigning the gloves, it should be a no brainer to protect the UFC’s investment in the fighters.

100% in agreement with this, I don’t understand why Dana is so openly against redesigning the gloves, it should be a no brainer to protect the UFC’s investment in the fighters.
Trevor Whitman's ONX gloves would be great for this but he said that the UFC wanted to own the rights to it. It's probably a money thing

It's against the rules so technically do they even have to give warnings? And if it stopped a takedown then it sounds warranted. I didn't really watch the fight though so I'm not 100% sure how impactful the grab was.
It's all so arbitrary. And we've seen so many precedents to the contrary.

The victims of a robbery are everyone whose TD got stabbed by a fence grab and the ref did nothing.

Reactions: Gio
It's all so arbitrary. And we've seen so many precedents to the contrary.
Personally I'd make this the rule:

If a fence grab avoids a takedown, take a point

Don't take a point on the first eye poke or nut shot. Take a point on each second offense

The victims of a robbery are everyone whose TD got stabbed by a fence grab and the ref did nothing.
Just reset and award the takedown then. I could see fighters not liking that too, but much better than a point.

Personally I'd make this the rule:

If a fence grab avoids a takedown, take a point

Don't take a point on the first eye poke or nut shot. Take a point on each second offense
Feel like eye pokes and nut shots are way worse than a semi stuffed takedown.

A point for one grab with no warning? Conor vs Khabib with this ref would have had a 10-2 round.

Dude smells like cigs and booze.

<{hughesimpress}>
I think it depends on the severity of it. It was blatant and stopped a takedown. Sometimes ref's miss stuff that we can heck, it may change the outcome of a fight, but I think the ref got it right.

Back