Petr Yan's TDD enough to fight off Sterling?

Snolla

Brown Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
In a recent interview with Brett Okamoto, Sterling gave away his gameplay of repeated takedowns. Claimed all he needs is one takedown and he is going to keep spamming them. Whether this will happen or is just a bluff? Who knows....

How's Yan's TDD against good wrestlers? Any examples of it?

Here's the interview:

No timestamp. It's about halfway through he actually addresses the matchup.

Sterling likely gets dropped in late R2
Not a fan of Yan and I'm rooting for Aljamain so it sucks saying that :confused: :confused:
giphy.gif

aljo might try to shoot to too far out in fear of the strikes, but might cause him to get caught by something on the way in our get stuffed and countered

Khabibs TD accuracy is 48%. It's a dumb metric to judge someone.

People are putting Yan in some special untouchable category after only beating old man Aldo and Jimmie Rivera.
Yep. Sterling even beat Rivera too.

Sandhagen is getting hyped to the moon, Sterling finished him...

Yan will be fine. Sterling will know he's fucked once he feels Yan's power.

UFC 259: Sterling cites ‘Khabib-style pressure’ as he outlines masterplan to dethrone Russian bantamweight king Yan

UFC bantamweight Aljamain Sterling has referenced “Khabib-style type of pressure” as part of an approach which he believes will lead to victory when he faces Russian reigning 135lbs champion Petr Yan at UFC 259.
Sterling and Yan collide in a rearranged title match-up in Las Vegas on March 6 with both men on hot streaks.

https://www.rt.com/sport/516585-ufc-259-sterling-yan-khabib-pressure/

I think Yan is more likely to take him down tbh.

Yan has faced Murad Kalamov (a tall lengthy wrestler with good submissions), Ed Arthur (a tall lanky dude), Teruto Ishihara (a tall lanky dude), Magomed Magomedov (a better wrestler than Aljo).
Magomed being a strictly better grappler than Aljo is a hard sell but hes very very good. He's a fighter who shows that Yan can go 5 rounds in a very grindy fight. Rivera also shot for some takedowns on Yan and his wrestling is no joke.

Yan has faced Murad Kalamov (a tall lengthy wrestler with good submissions), Ed Arthur (a tall lanky dude), Teruto Ishihara (a tall lanky dude), Magomed Magomedov (a better wrestler than Aljo with a very similar style).
Murad is 5'6. Magomed is great but his style is different imo. You need to remember Aljo has long reach and long leg reach on top, which helps him lean back in exchanges.

Dem hands will keep Aldo in place, and eventually will show Aljo’s standup flaws.

Sterling best shot is jump on him dry, get his back-pack, and pull off a Sandhagen type win early in the 1st. If he cant land that, I think it goes downhill from there for Aljo.

I'd be more worried for Sterling being able to withstand Yan's crisp, powerful hands than I would be for Yan fighting off Sterling's takedown attempts

I'm sure he'll get cracked sooner or later if he keeps spamming takedowns

tumblr_p0qxb41O5f1r7vh24o1_500.gifv

Back