News Edson Barboza re-signs with UFC on multi-fight deal

Gio

Wendy Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
"UFC veteran Edson Barboza is sticking with the promotion he’s called home for over a decade."

edson-barboza-ufc-242-official-weigh-ins.jpg

"Barboza’s management told MMA Fighting that Barboza, a longtime lightweight contender currently competing at 145 pounds, has re-signed with the UFC on a multi-fight deal. The exact terms of the contract were not disclosed."

"According to Barboza’s manager Alex Davis, Barboza had one fight remaining on his previous contract."

“The UFC has opted to re-sign Barboza and keep him on the roster, and keep him active going forward,” Davis said. “Barboza and I believe he has what it takes to make a run for the belt and become champion, and that’s his focus.”

"The news comes after an eventful 2020 for Barboza, in which he asked for a release from the UFC before eventually signing on for a fight with Dan Ige in May. Barboza lost a split decision to Ige, but rebounded with a unanimous nod over Makwan Amirkhani in his most recent outing. Barboza later said that his plan was to fight out his contract and consider offers should he enter free agency."

Full story here: https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/2/25/22300991/edson-barboza-re-signs-with-ufc-on-multi-fight-deal

He probably should have tested free agency. Could have been a good fit for PFL. Better odds of securing gold. They likely would have overpaid for a big name

He was asking to be released a few months ago if he can't get a fight or a new deal. For sure he's considered free agency

Great! Barboza is one of my favourite fighters and a treat to watch.

Glad he continues to fight in the UFC.

Good for Edson, hopefully he got paid. Can always make interesting match-ups with him and he doesn't pull out, miss weight or anything like that.

How sad is it that I'm surprised by this? New UFC owners are stingy as fuck with veterans like Barboza.

Back