News Karolina Kowalkiewicz opens up about depression and suicide attempts. Now training with Wittman

estranged

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

Strawweight contender Karolina Kowalkiewicz has opened up about her battle with depression following a four-fight losing skid with the UFC.

Kowalkiewicz (12-6-0) has not fought since a unanimous decision loss to Yan Xiaonan at the UFC on ESPN+ 26 event in February 2020. Following the fight, the heartbroken 35-year-old admitted that for the first time in her career she is not okay. Prior to the defeat, the former title challenger was coming off losses to Alexa Grasso, Michelle Waterson and Jessica Andrade.

During a recent chat with Polish publication MMA Rocks, Kowalkiewicz opened up about her struggle with depression following her UFC setbacks.

“I crippled myself. I cut, burned. Once, I was even so bad that I took the pills. I wanted to fall asleep and never wake up. I woke up in the hospital…This passion, this love for sport saved my life.” Kowalkiewicz said.

Kowalkiewicz announced earlier this month that she is looking at an April or May return to the cage and wants her training camp to be in the USA under the supervision of Trevor Wittman, a highly-acclaimed coach who notably trains Rose Namajunas. Kowalkiewicz’s long-time head coach and partner, Łukasz Zaborowski, apparently does not want her to fight again but has agreed to this one last fight as it is what she wants.

I'm sorry to hear of her troubles. She's a very sweet person with a really charming personality.

Hope she can have a great training camp and climb up physically and mentally.
I'll be cheering her on for sure.

I wonder if she was a dude going 0-4 she would still be signed?

She's a former title challenger so probably. They let Arlovski go on a 5 fight losing streak and kept him, Barao lost 5 in a row before finally getting cut, Michael Johnson is on a 4 fight losing streak at the moment.

Wittman is a good choice of camp anyway, can get some good sparring in with Rose.

Granted she's lost 4 in a row, but the people she's lost to are currently ranked #1 and #10 at Flyweight and #3 and #8 at Strawweight so it's not like she's losing to nobodies.

I'd like to see her get Hannah Cifers or Mallory Martin or something.

Sounds like she honestly shouldn't be fighting anymore. This could be anything from just sad over the losses to actual real brain damage that's imparing her judgement. What's going to happen if she gets her head bounced off the canvas next fight? I hope she wins, for her own sake.

Poor girl, I'm happy she have made it through all of that and I'm happy she is motivated for 1 fight, hopefully she can go out on top.

Her Ls streak was pretty hard to watch and this sport can be brutal at times but I think it's safe to say her best days are behind her now

Aaah man love Karolina and I hope things are better.

I'm no doctor but when I hear atlhletes from various high contact sports talk about their bad mental health I think they should stop to give their brain a chance.

Getting hit in the head is clearly not good for your brain health and might be what actually caused it or at least in part.

Anyway, wish her all the best

I wonder if she was a dude going 0-4 she would still be signed?
Probably but she would be on thin ice and if it is a true retirement fight it's not surprising that they'd let her fight one last time. Plenty of fighters on terrible skids still getting fights. Sure they have bigger names than her but this isn't something new imo.

Jacare is 2-5 in his last 7. Hasn't won 2 in a row in almost 4 years and he's still signed. They let Arlovski go on a 3-10 run with 5 loss, and 4 loss losing streaks. Jeremy Stephens is on a 4 fight losing streak, Cerrone is currently 0-4-1 in his last 5. Barboza was 1-5 in his last 6 heading in to the Makwan fight.

Back