Stipe needs to change his approach for Frank 2.0

Istryker

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So Ik that Stipe Miocic beat Ngannou relatively easy the first time and the general consensus is that As long as Miocic is still in his prime he should be able to do the same thing unless he gets “caught”.

And I seriously disagree with that idea, stipe should go and aim for a finish against Frank instead of “surviving”. The whole “Ngannou was green” narrative isn’t just a dismissive meme (aka Conor 2.0) it’s actual facts he has improved tremendously compared to the first fight his technical boxing and his leg kicks are far far more dangerous than the first time around. Stipe NEEDS to try and weather the early storm and get a GNP stoppage or sub him because attempting another 5 round wrestle clinic is heroic yet foolish as fuck.

Stipe should also consider using his boxing to try to stop Ngannou bc we know his entire camp will be focused on stopping TD’s it doesn’t hurt to try and mix it up.

So Ik that Stipe Miocic beat Ngannou relatively easy the first time and the general consensus is that As long as Miocic is still in his prime he should be able to do the same thing unless he gets “caught”.

And I seriously disagree with that idea, stipe should go and aim for a finish against Frank instead of “surviving”. The whole “Ngannou was green” narrative isn’t just a dismissive meme (aka Conor 2.0) it’s actual facts he has improved tremendously compared to the first fight his technical boxing and his leg kicks are far far more dangerous than the first time around. Stipe NEEDS to try and weather the early storm and get a GNP stoppage or sub him because attempting another 5 round wrestle clinic is heroic yet foolish as fuck.
He tried to finish him last time. Ngannou is just extremely durable even when hes tired. If stipe goes for more subs hes going to get more lactic acid in his arms which wont be good if ngannou escapes. Stipe was pretty tired that last fight too, he had to expend a lot of energy trying to take a big guy like francis down

I think the longer Stipe stands with him, the worse things are likely to be. His best bet is to time a TD as soon as possible. This would also be a great time for him to learn a submission of some kind.

IMO Stipe needs to just mix it up or at least threaten a take down once in a while so that Francis can't just bullrush him or focus on his striking only. Stipe obviously a better technical striker but you don't want to give Francis extra chances to tee off on you.
Like the reason GSP standup was so effective b/c you constantly worried about his takedowns.

I think the longer Stipe stands with him, the worse things are likely to be. His best bet is to time a TD as soon as possible. This would also be a great time for him to learn a submission of some kind.

really? why? the last time he spent a lot of time standing with Francis and avoided nearly everything. it was also a key part to how he began to wear Francis down. he made him miss a bunch of combinations and you could see Ngannou gassing off just the missed shots.

Stipe should also consider using his boxing to try to stop Ngannou bc we know his entire camp will be focused on stopping TD’s it doesn’t hurt to try and mix it up.
Perfectly timed counter, right on the chin that Ngannou didn't see coming. If this punch didn't even wobble Francis then I really don't think Stipe is capable of stopping Francis with his hands, unless he lands a punch like this late.

giphy.gif

really? why? the last time he spent a lot of time standing with Francis and avoided nearly everything. it was also a key part to how he began to wear Francis down. he made him miss a bunch of combinations and you could see Ngannou gassing off just the missed shots.
Since that time, Stipe has also aged 3 years and gotten flatlined by Cormier. Even in the fights with DC that he won, Stipe looked slow and was pretty hittable. Francis is likely improving his game, whereas Stipe is likely either staying the same or declining. Like @TheNinja said, Stipe would do well to mix in TDs and at least make Francis think about them. It’s important to be unpredictable; but by and large, Francis is not likely to outpoint Stipe or sub him. He’s most likely to win by KO because he hits like a Mack truck.
Standing with Francis for an extended period of time, especially as a 38 y/o fighter? 0/10 would not recommend :D

ngannou is a worse fighter than before, i dont fucking see any progress lol

Perfectly timed counter, right on the chin that Ngannou didn't see coming. If this punch didn't even wobble Francis then I really don't think Stipe is capable of stopping Francis with his hands, unless he lands a punch like this late.

giphy.gif

That tells me nothing

Francis got better but so did Stipe.

Yes if Stipe expects the same fight he will lose but Stipe is not stupid.

Stipe is much more versatile and smart than Francis. Francis is only good at one thing and thats spamming haymakers

Since that time, Stipe has also aged 3 years and gotten flatlined by Cormier. Even in the fights with DC that he won, Stipe looked slow and was pretty hittable. Francis is likely improving his game, whereas Stipe is likely either staying the same or declining. Like @TheNinja said, Stipe would do well to mix in TDs and at least make Francis think about them. It’s important to be unpredictable; but by and large, Francis is not likely to outpoint Stipe or sub him. He’s most likely to win by KO because he hits like a Mack truck.
Standing with Francis for an extended period of time, especially as a 38 y/o fighter? 0/10 would not recommend :D

Stipe has also changed his body and conditioning some. They claim he has less body fat and more strength and his most recent fights show this. I felt like before this he would get lethargic and risky in later rounds.

Watching the first fight between these two fighters though I just don't see Francis getting the W.

the reason he was able to take him down is because Francis thought it was going to be a boxing affair with the way Stipe approached the fight in the first rd. he circled and used a lot of head movement. he didn't even attempt a takedown until after the first few exchanges, exchanges that he actually won.

i'm not saying stand with him the entire fight, but he HAS TO stand with him at least early on to drain some of that power. Cain, Curtis, and Overeem all tried to grapple with Francis early on and got the business end of his fist stuck in their head.

i'd also say that Stipe looked slow and hittable before the 1st Ngannou fight too. he went to war with a JDS who was a broken man already and got lit up by Overeem in his 1st defense. Ngannou is clearly better than those guys, but when it came down to it Stipe was ready for every single thing Francis had.

think about it, his fight with Francis went way easier than his 1st fight with JDS.

i do agree that age and time could have taken it's toll on Stipe, but if that's the case there was no way for him to win even if he tried to grapple from the start.

the reason he was able to take him down is because Francis thought it was going to be a boxing affair with the way Stipe approached the fight in the first rd. he circled and used a lot of head movement. he didn't even attempt a takedown until after the first few exchanges, exchanges that he actually won.

i'm not saying stand with him the entire fight, but he HAS TO stand with him at least early on to drain some of that power. Cain, Curtis, and Overeem all tried to grapple with Francis early on and got the business end of his fist stuck in their head.

i'd also say that Stipe looked slow and hittable before the 1st Ngannou fight too. he went to war with a JDS who was a broken man already and got lit up by Overeem in his 1st defense. Ngannou is clearly better than those guys, but when it came down to it Stipe was ready for every single thing Francis had.

think about it, his fight with Francis went way easier than his 1st fight with JDS.

i do agree that age and time could have taken it's toll on Stipe, but if that's the case there was no way for him to win even if he tried to grapple from the start.
thats because francis is a one trick pony, his power is a very hard trick to pass but with him you know exactly what to expect, unlike against jds who's more well rounded

ngannou is a worse fighter than before, i dont fucking see any progress lol

To be fair we don't know if he got better or worse at all because he knocks people in 30 seconds. Makes analyzing the fight kinda hard

Back