A lifetime KO and headshot limit

elwani

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
None of you are going to like this, but for the sake of preventing CTE, let’s say there is a hard limit on the total number of headshots and KOs a fighter can receive in competition in total before they can no longer compete.

I actually don't mind it. There would have to be more science done to decide where the limit is though.

There would be some odd implications though if you really think it through.

Imagine if for each fight each fighter had a counter showing the number remaining until mandatory retirement.

Also no one would want to fight Max.

Max has also eaten some of the most strikes in the game at such a young age... He wouldn't be able to compete anymore by your rules

There would be some odd implications though if you really think it through.

Imagine if for each fight each fighter had a counter showing the number remaining until mandatory retirement.

Also no one would want to fight Max.

look forward to introducing "guy overeem" with a fake moustache, "guy overeem 2" with fake moustache and groucho marx glasses, and a "guy overeem 3" with fake moustache, glasses and a top hat

The issue isn't competition kos.
It's the training.

Spenser Fisher was probably getting koed weekly at Miletitch. These guys won't self police themselves because most guys in mma can't do anything else.

getting punched for one person isnt the same as it is for someone else. Someone else who has taken 25% of the shots Mark Hunt has taken might be dead.

Yeah but that’s just like the objection to any number of laws, like why is the blood alcohol limit set to whatever it is to be considered DUI when everyone’s tolerance of alcohol is different. Any rule is inevitably an approximation.

It would ruin the sport tbh. Guys would be afraid to exchange, and stand up fights would be mostly stare downs. It would also massively favour grappling. Pass.

it’s also very unscientific, since the impact from each knockout and head strike is not equal. They just need to improve their ability to detect early warning signs of CTE, and the commission needs to be the one to tell the fighter when they are done, not their employer.

Yeah but that’s just like the objection to any number of laws, like why is the blood alcohol limit set to whatever it is to be considered DUI when everyone’s tolerance of alcohol is different. Any rule is inevitably an approximation.
You cant be serious. Someone drunk on the road is a danger to any number of innocent people as well as themselves.

The men who fight sign up for this shit. It is the very nature of the sport to do damage to each other.

You cant be serious. Someone drunk on the road is a danger to any number of innocent people as well as themselves.

The men who fight sign up for this shit. It is the very nature of the sport to do damage to each other.

Well you can also argue they become a danger to their families ala Chris Benoit.

Also I remember reading something like Spencer forgetting where he is while driving.

That’s a terrible example to prove your point. The law doesn’t say you’re guilty of driving under the influence after having 3 beer, which would have a dramatically different impact on each person. The law says that you’re guilty of driving under the influence when the amount of alcohol in your body reaches a certain percentage of the blood in your body. It’s not concrete how that effects everyone, but the impact on everyone is approximately the same to a fair degree.

None of you are going to like this, but for the sake of preventing CTE, let’s say there is a hard limit on the total number of headshots and KOs a fighter can receive in competition in total before they can no longer compete.

Completely pointless, CTE is linked to repetitive brain trauma. People can get it from sparring too much and never even fighting.

Plus not all knockouts are the same. Some are worse, some are over in mere seconds it's the discombobulation that causes them to be flopping around on the ground.
It would just give people the opportunity to say "I haven't hit the knockout limit yet" while being completely fucked in their brain.
If you were an active fighter would you want your career coming down to what is essentially compubox numbers for your head? No you wouldn't.

You want to make fight sports safer for professional athletes? Ban them lol.

I could definetly see this being enforced in the future. Personaly I think it's up to the fighters themselves, they know what they get into.

Well you can also argue they become a danger to their families ala Chris Benoit.

Also I remember reading something like Spencer forgetting where he is while driving.
I am all for monitoring brain activity but you cant just set a limit numerically,that shit is just not gonna work at all.

Back