More examples of boxing coaches ruining fighters?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
You know, if you kinda think about it, Travis Browne, before he allowed anyone to dare make a name off him, was a pretty dynamic fighter, but he went to Edmond, then he kinda became more reliant on his boxing, you know, and I thought that really hurt him, because he was more dynamic striker. I know he's easy to make fun of, but I think he was a solid fighter back then.

Conor looked like, I'm sure he is way past his prime, abandoned his style and fougth more like a boxer. If you watch how he got ktfo, he tried to duck under the punch, and got caught by the punch he didn't expect coming. Conor usually slips punches, not duck under punches, which he has done several times in that fight, and really his stance wasn't the same at all. And it looks like he tried to box off his jab, which he usually doesn't, I guess outside Nate 2 but even then. I think Conor really looked past Dustin, but the whole boxing thing really hurt Conor, in my opinion. It sounded like he walked out with a new boxing coach from his old gym or something like that, not sure but so I read.

Any more example of boxing coaches ruining fighters by making them more predictable and make them a worse striker?

100% agree. It's MMA. If u fall in love with one weapon of yours and neglect the rest you will come up short. Think how easy it is to gameplan against a guy coming in boxing heavy.

The way I saw it is that He felt like he had to go for broke in the second but he was weary from the Calf kicks and the hooks so he was panicking and chasing and completely off ballance as a result.

Freddie Roach Arlovski

Also you know there is also footwork in boxing, Conor just didn’t use it.

Apparently

"I paid too much attention to boxing," he said. "I wanted to try professional boxing. That's why I didn't focus on wrestling and jiu-jitsu, and it hurt me."

"Definitely I learned from Freddie, and he taught me some cool stuff," Arlovski said. "But at the same time, I was hurting my momentum in my MMA technique, and I had some problems with my other coaches. It was a good experience, but I'm not going to come back again to a boxing gym."

too much analysis

he has always been a mid tier fighter

the first time he faced a guy of his size, the decline started

You know, if you kinda think about it, Travis Browne, before he allowed anyone to dare make a name off him, was a pretty dynamic fighter, but he went to Edmond, then he kinda became more reliant on his boxing, you know, and I thought that really hurt him, because he was more dynamic striker. I know he's easy to make fun of, but I think he was a solid fighter back then.

Conor looked like, I'm sure he is way past his prime, abandoned his style and fougth more like a boxer. If you watch how he got ktfo, he tried to duck under the punch, and got caught by the punch he didn't expect coming. Conor usually slips punches, not duck under punches, which he has done several times in that fight, and really his stance wasn't the same at all. And it looks like he tried to box off his jab, which he usually doesn't, I guess outside Nate 2 but even then. I think Conor really looked past Dustin, but the whole boxing thing really hurt Conor, in my opinion. It sounded like he walked out with a new boxing coach from his old gym or something like that, not sure but so I read.

Any more example of boxing coaches ruining fighters by making them more predictable and make them a worse striker?
You are naming coaches that don't teach high level boxing that is adaptable to mma. Every fighter would benefit from better boxing. That's like saying learning high level bjj isn't a good idea for mma. The problem is they are not learning from elite level boxing trainers and sparring with elite level boxers. GSP's boxing greatly improved with Roach and was the first fighter to prove a jab is effective in boxing and mma. Fighters just didn't know how to throw a proper jab back then because most boxing training is done by muay thai/kickboxing trainers. There's a big difference in boxing ability from that and professional boxing, especially with elite level boxing. That's why the ONE FC muay thai champ Rodtang wins because he has superior boxing and inside boxing compared to the other traditional muay thai fighters.

You bring up Conor but Conor won most of his fights with his boxing only problem now is he became predictable and hasn't improved his boxing. He uses the same combos and adapted the wrong stance/striking style for his style of boxing. Dustin improved drastically because he drastically improved his boxing. He is winning his fights by being the better mma boxer. Same with Max.

Arlovski's problem wasn't his boxing, it was his chin. His chin wouldn't hold up with the boxing exchanges. So now he adjusted his game plan to minimize damage to his chin. He plays it safer now and doesn't slug it out. Still using boxing but point fighting instead.

The problem isn't boxing. The problem is their boxing training/strategy/tactics.

Last edited:
Rampage got ruined by Juanito Ibarra.

The Oyama style of striking worked well for Rampage. It's almost like he forgot that kicking is allowed in MMA when he got trained by Juanito.

It's not boxing's fault, if those guys take dumb, yes man, amateur or local level trainers.
Poirier has a boxing coach

Reactions: 0-1
He sure didn't look to be that much better at boxing than his opponent, and it's not like with his gas tank and general skillset that he was likely to win any other way than hurting and stopping Poirier inside the first 2 or at most 3 rounds, so no I don't think that was McGregor's issue. He's not nearly talented enough to approach the sport in a half-assed way (as he has for the last half-decade) and continue to beat elite competition.

He sure didn't look to be that much better at boxing than his opponent, and it's not like with his gas tank and general skillset that he was likely to win any other way than hurting and stopping Poirier inside the first 2 or at most 3 rounds, so no I don't think that was McGregor's issue. He's not nearly talented enough to approach the sport in a half-assed way (as he has for the last half-decade) and continue to beat elite competition.

Conor's boxing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dustin's.

Aaron Pico?

Still young, but deffo fell in love with his hands in some of his losses

Most fighters seem to rely just on their hands as they get older, I guess it’s just easier on their body’s, grappling takes a lot of energy, and kicking, well not sure why people all of the sudden stop kicking, jose Aldo is the best example, he had some of the most devastating low kicks ever, but he hasn’t throw a single low kick in like a decade...

Most fighters seem to rely just on their hands as they get older, I guess it’s just easier on their body’s, grappling takes a lot of energy, and kicking, well not sure why people all of the sudden stop kicking, jose Aldo is the best example, he had some of the most devastating low kicks ever, but he hasn’t throw a single low kick in like a decade...

Aldo is prime example of somebody abandoning his greatest feature, he was so dynamic but after the Frankie fight, the old Aldo was no more, maybe it was injuries and just all around wear and tear.

It's the same coaches that got him to this point so it's hard to say the people that built him also ruined him.

Have you not seen his last two fights? He threw a number of leg kicks vs Yan, took him off his feet with the first one. He also threw a number in his last fight vs Chito. He didn't throw them for a while, but he started throwing them again recently.

Have you not seen his last two fights? He threw a number of leg kicks vs Yan, took him off his feet with the first one. He also threw a number in his last fight vs Chito. He didn't throw them for a while, but he started throwing them again recently.

tbh I didn’t, my bad

Back