Is Amanda Nunes Really The GOAT Or Is She Fighting Easy Competition?

pcbh167

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I think Amanda is an amazing fighter and I'm really impressed at how she's finished people like Ronda, Holly and Cyborg in the first round. However, I believe that she has only looked so dominant because none of the girls she is fighting have the style to cause her problems.

I believe that pressure wrestlers are stylistically her biggest threat and she hasn't fought a pressure wrestler since Cat Zingano.

(Also, I'm not talking about 145 because I can't see anyone beating Nunes at 145. She has one punch KO power in that division & hits the hardest)

OnPaste.20210128-000401.png

Edit
https://ibb.co/5MhpNSm
5MhpNSm

Last edited:
Also would you not deem Olympic Wrestler Sara McMann a pressure wrestler?
Not necessarily. She likes to stay on the outside and shoot in for a takedown after setting it up with strikes but I wouldn't call her a pressure wrestler.

Easy competition.. You mean every single woman to hold the UFC BW, or FW belt??

Possibly the worst take I’ve ever seen in here.
Don't forget the most dominant FlW champ as well. While we're at it, does anyone doubt she'd beat Montano if anyone was sadistic enough to make that fight? Then she'd have beaten every female champion the UFC has ever had above 115.

Not necessarily. She likes to stay on the outside and shoot in for a takedown after setting it up with strikes but I wouldn't call her a pressure wrestler.
Fair I haven't seen loads of her myself, though I just noticed she has multiple takedowns in all her fights bar Ronda and Nunes in which she got none.

Dude she stopped Ronda, Holm, and Cyborg. 2 decisions over Val Schev.
She did, but stylistically, those were easy fights for her. Valentina won't pressure her because of the size and power difference.
Ronda likes to initiate the clinch with her chin in the air which is why Amanda had an easy time hitting her.
Holly could have caused some problems for Amanda if she used her lateral movement but she chose to stand right in front of Amanda, which is why she got knocked out.
Cyborg reverted back to how she used to fight after Amanda hit her; an aggressive brawler and like I said, Amanda hits the hardest at 145.

Why not both? Someone has got to be the greatest.

She's beaten pretty much every relevant fighter in WMMA. of course WMMA is pretty bad in terms of talent but she is still goat

I think Amanda is an amazing fighter and I'm really impressed at how she's finished people like Ronda, Holly and Cyborg in the first round. However, I believe that she has only looked so dominant because none of the girls she is fighting have the style to cause her problems.

I believe that pressure wrestlers are stylistically her biggest threat and she hasn't fought a pressure wrestler since Cat Zingano.

(Also, I'm not talking about 145 because I can't see anyone beating Nunes at 145. She has one punch KO power in that division & hits the hardest)

View attachment 829765
Cris Cyborg, Valentina twice, de Randamie, Holly Holm, Ronda Rousey

That's easy competition?

Fair I haven't seen loads of her myself, though I just noticed she has multiple takedowns in all her fights bar Ronda and Nunes in which she got none.
She is very good at taking people down and actually, even if she did take Nunes down, I still think she would have lost. Sara mostly lays on top of people when she takes them down. I like her but she's very boring to watch.

Why not both? Someone has got to be the greatest.
That's a good point, but I don't think there's any merit in being called the GOAT when you're fighting people who don't have the skills to beat you. Now Amanda has beaten a lot of tough competition, but style wise, they don't present as much of a problem for her, as opposed to if she was fighting a pressure wrestler.
It's like when Ronda was champ; she was fighting people who stylistically, she could run through but then she finally faced an elite striker and she got knocked out and same thing happened with her next opponent. Ronda's biggest threats were elite strikers and pressure wrestlers are Amanda's biggest threat.

Cris Cyborg, Valentina twice, de Randamie, Holly Holm, Ronda Rousey

That's easy competition?
For Amanda, yes. I'm not saying those fighters are mediocre or anything. I'm just saying that style wise, Amanda can beat them easier than she would be able to beat someone like Cat Zingano. Styles make fights.

She did, but stylistically, those were easy fights for her. Valentina won't pressure her because of the size and power difference.
Ronda likes to initiate the clinch with her chin in the air which is why Amanda had an easy time hitting her.
Holly could have caused some problems for Amanda if she used her lateral movement but she chose to stand right in front of Amanda, which is why she got knocked out.
Cyborg reverted back to how she used to fight after Amanda hit her; an aggressive brawler and like I said, Amanda hits the hardest at 145.
So, if we combine them all into one fighter she may be able to beat Amanda?

Sorry, she's beat all the best fighters at her weight, and hasn't lost in a long time. Stopped Cyborg and Ronda, both formwrly considered GOATS by some.

I mean, what are you trying to say here?

That's a good point, but I don't think there's any merit in being called the GOAT when you're fighting people who don't have the skills to beat you. Now Amanda has beaten a lot of tough competition, but style wise, they don't present as much of a problem for her, as opposed to if she was fighting a pressure wrestler.
It's like when Ronda was champ; she was fighting people who stylistically, she could run through but then she finally faced an elite striker and she got knocked out and same thing happened with her next opponent. Ronda's biggest threats were elite strikers and pressure wrestlers are Amanda's biggest threat.
It's kind of a shame, she's definitely special. A great fighter really can only be as good as their best win. There's so few girls who break through and become elite, doesn't help that they tend to disappear when they do break through. It shouldn't be an indictment of her ability, just the era she's fighting in.

Back